I think my tires might be separating. Help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a set of BFG KDW tires for the TL for nearly $1,000 out the door. My first impressions of them were that they were slightly noisier at low speeds over stock but the same on the freeway. That lasted 100miles. The noise has progressed to the point that I absolutely hate driving this car. It literally sounds like a set of very aggressive mud tires on a truck. I'm not one to complain about noise, my GN is loud but the tires on the TL compete with the 2 12s in the trunk...seriously.

Now I have noticed a slight "crack" on the outside edge of both front tires that goes around the circumference. It looks like the tread wanting to separate from the sidewall.

Ever since the noise has gotten very bad, there are two "lines" on all 4 tires that go around the circumference, all evenly spaced. Each line is 2" in from the sidewall on the tread itself. It doesn't follow the lines of the treadblocks. They are perfectly straight around the tire. The best way I can describe it is it looks like the tire is barely touching the ground on these lines, giving slightly different shading to make them show up. Most of the times the lines are lighter in color with more road dirt due to lack of contact compared to the rest of the tire. The car sees 95% freeway miles and is usually driven very easy. I tested these tires when I first got them and grip, especially braking was amazing. Yesterday I was messing around and did a moderate stop and I couldn't believe how easy the ABS kicked in. Traction went from great to horrible practically over night.

I need a little help before I take the car back to complain. I don't want to complain about nothing. Before anyone askes, I've tried pressures from 28psi to 42psi, rotating them, did an alignment when I first installed them and had it checked after the problems started, and yes, they're rotating the right direction.

I would complain, especially if I dropped a grand on them.
Do you have a picture of the tires? Cracks on the tread are kinda odd. Separation. Thats what my tire looked like when it started separating.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I would complain, especially if I dropped a grand on them.
Do you have a picture of the tires? Cracks on the tread are kinda odd. Separation. Thats what my tire looked like when it started separating.

My tires look like they could be in the very early stages of what your tire looks like. The lines I described could very well be the beginning. I'll get pics tomorrow. Thanks.

Be glad that atleast you are alert enough with your cars to notice this. Most people just drive on totally unaware of what's going on. What does the tire shop say about this? Seems like a valid warranty issue here. May also be able to call the NHSA (or whatever it's called)to complain or open an investigation. Or maybe you could pop them on the GN and do a few burn outs to see what they do..:)

You didn't say how old the tires are now (or how many miles are on them), but I'm left with the impression we are talking months and maybe a couple thousand miles.

If this is true, then it is way too early for a separation.

What you are describing sounds like a molding problem. Nothing serious, but it will sure look bad. The good news is that this is a warrantable condition - and the tire shop where you bought the tires ought to exchange it without fuss.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
You didn't say how old the tires are now (or how many miles are on them), but I'm left with the impression we are talking months and maybe a couple thousand miles.

If this is true, then it is way too early for a separation.

What you are describing sounds like a molding problem. Nothing serious, but it will sure look bad. The good news is that this is a warrantable condition - and the tire shop where you bought the tires ought to exchange it without fuss.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Bob

A problem with the tires needs to be reported to the dealer. The dealer needs to examine the tires, and make a call to MNA and report the issue to them... and ask if they've heard of this issue before.

If there is a problem with that batch of tires, and no one reports it, then how will MNA ever know that there is a problem?

When something changes for the worse, then that's a worthy issue to complain about.

if you spent a grand in tyres, they better make you're car ride on rails, be dead quiet and last for 80 thousand miles.

i wouldn't take any bull about this either.

What's the date code on the tires? Though they're new to you, we need to rule out that the dealer may have stuck you with some old stock.

If they are separating, I'd get them into counseling asap, or this will almost certainly end up in divorce. I hate it when they argue over who gets custody of the spare.

Seriously, it's a no-brainer...the tire manufacturer would warranty this pronto.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back