Tractor Hydrualic system losses power, chatters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a John Deere 2950 with a loader on it I use everyday. It works fine when it is cold but as it warms up I lose steering at low rpms and loader chatters alot. I have replaced filters. Mechanic says pump is just worn. Is there a higher viscosity oil or additive that might prolong its use without replacing the pump and spending the big bucks?

The correct answer would be to fix the problem, ie. rebuild the pump. You could "try" a thicker oil but there's no guarantee how long it's going to work. You could try TRC's UTF RED, it's a 10W/30 UTF oil versus the regular 10W/20 type UTF. You could also try adding something like TRC's 800 Polymer, a viscosity improver additive. Problem is even if they work how long will they work. The best thing to do is to fix it and use a good oil to prevent if from happening again.

Reallt you are asking for a bandaid to milk more hours from the pump? try some hdeo 15w/40 .No guarantees though,

I have a 2640 John Deere that was doing exactly the same thing...loses pressure and no steering with a lot of chattering when trying to raise the loader...Take the "plungers" out of the pump up front (in front of the fuel tank) and clean them off...Pull the strainer out of the trans...It's a large plug mounted on the lower side of the case...and put a new hydraulic filter in. Mine has been fine since then...There was a tremendous amount of gunk in the front pump and the filter and strainer were both clogged with what turned out to be brake disc material...It has been great ever since, and this was 4 years ago..I am currently running Schaeffers THF but I've tried them all and it wasn't the fluid in my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back