Ok to use GC 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been reading a lot of the praises people have for the GC.
I have a newer model toyota that calls for 5w-30 and have been doing 5-6k mobil 1 changes for.
It is used in sunny and hot California so I was wondering is it best to stick with 5w and would 0w cause any problems since it isnt all that cold out here. Price for the oil is about the same.

Thats what I was wondering about the thickness. I know its stated as a 0w-30 but what confused me was that people were using it as a 0w-40.
So this being the case, a friend of mine has a car that also uses 5w-30 and burns about a quart every 3k, which is acceptable to everyone but he doesnt like it since there are cars that dont burn a drop. Would this oil be ideal for him or is it smarter to just move up to 10w-30?

I would suggest Mobil 1 10W-30 for LA. Your friend will see less consumption. The 10W-30 has a much better NOACK and shouldn't disappear so much. GC would also be a great choice depending on which Toyota engine we're talking about.

[ September 23, 2004, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah I guess knowing the engines might help,
pat.gif

The Toyota is a 4-cyl, that revs very loudly up to 8.2k. GTS engine, 2zz-ge.

The other that burns 1qt oil per 3k is a Mini Cooper S.

Guess GC 0w-30 is out due to its thickness.
Ironic, people are dying to find it, I saw some at a local Autozone but does me no good.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
GC is great on consumption. Mobil 1? Not so great.

I know it's not 100% fair to compare since I just got this car and haven't run any other oils in it, however my 98 Corvette is now 3300 miles into it's first 5k interval with GC, and it's oil level is unchanged. The LS1 engines in these cars are notorious oil burners too. A lot of people who run Mobil 1 5w30 in these engines report they use a quart or more every 3k. One friend of mine with this engine in a 98 Z28 reported he went from using one quart every 3k with M1, to using no oil every 3k with GC.

rich mds,

Barring peculiarities with that engine, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use SLX in the LA basin...I am very familiar with SoCal and the temps aren't too much for the Elixer Of Visco Thickness, Smoothness and Vitality.

I live in Los Angeles and it has been extremely warm here lately. I run GC in my LS1 and have run my car hard in this hot weather. Consumption is not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back