Fuel stored for 4 months...any possible problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I topped off the gas tank in my Eclipse before heading off to college this past summer and in another month I'll be home to drive her again.

The fuel is 4 months old, it is 10% ethanol 93 octane and I made the mistake of not adding fuel stabilizer to the tank. However, I did add 4 oz. of Lucas UCL and 8 oz of STP fuel treatment (yeah, I know that STP stuff is junk but it was free.)

My question now is, any potential worries or anything I can do for this fuel? Also...does oxygenated fuel (10% ethanol) have a tendency to resist or even expedite decay? I do know ethanol is very hydrophillic so I was just wondering...thanks!!

4 months is nothing to worry about. Start the vehicle when your ready to drive her and use up the gas in the tank and then fill her up with your favorite fuel. Everything will be fine.

Don't see a problem here. However, I'd top off my tank at the 1/2 full mark or there abouts.

You need water ingestion to be a problem - it is not created inside.
It is a sealed system if your cap and EVAP system are OK. Water is not a problem.
Fuel can go sour and change chemically. We see definite changes in our garage queens after 6 months or so. The Lucas should help with this.
If you can, it's a good time to run her almost dry and refill with fresh fuel [and stabilizer if you need it].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back