GC vs Amsoil ASL 5w30 - Toyota Extended Drains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada,North America,Western Hemisphere,Earth,Milk
Its on an 03 1MZ-FE thats not a sludge year engine. It sees cold northern Alberta winters. Dealership recommends 5k oci's. What would be a better choice of oil for 6-8k mile drains?

I put on about one thousand miles a month and use Napa Gold filters but I would probably change the oil & filter twice a year at a minimum.

with a thousand miles a month, you likely get on the highway and get the oil up to temp once in a while, right?

Why not consider Mobil1? M1 jives very well with toyota metalurgy, and shows no notable wear (Fe
JMH

Nothing against Mobil 1 it just happened that I caught these brands on sale. Perhaps in the future I'll give it a try. Any other brands that go well with Toyota's?

Well its official. I'll be trying both. Just bought ten bottles of GC 0w30 to add to my fifteen bottles of Amsoil ASL 5w30.

Which is better suited to winter? And which to summer?

I just picked up M1 0w-20 for $4qt at Walmart. On the back it says -65F. no current PDS.

Use the thicker oil in the summer - but switching types of sometimes gives negative effects. I would find one brand and stick to it. Its hard to beat Amsoil for availability. If cold starts are a issue you may want to consider a warmer.

Originally Posted By: byez
Its on an 03 1MZ-FE thats not a sludge year engine. It sees cold northern Alberta winters. Dealership recommends 5k oci's. What would be a better choice of oil for 6-8k mile drains?

I put on about one thousand miles a month and use Napa Gold filters but I would probably change the oil & filter twice a year at a minimum.

Get a uoa done and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back