Need help diagnosing codes on a 3800 series II

Status
Not open for further replies.
96 Bonneville SE

http://uploader.ws/upload/200711/codes_458_x_1387.jpg[/img

I recently replaced the lower intake manifold gasket and also installed a whole new upper intake manifold. Ignore the code involving the coolant temp, it's current unconnected because I broke the sensor. I bought the new sensor the other day for about 12 bucks and will be putting it on this weekend.

Any help would be appreciated.

codes_458_x_1387.jpg

you cannot diagnose a OBDII car without the cts hooked up. the pcm will use a default value usually 0 degrees F. and will cause a car to misfire, use too much egr trying to warm up etc.. fix the cts then clear codes drive again to see what codes reapear.

Quote:

you cannot diagnose a OBDII car without the cts hooked up. the pcm will use a default value usually 0 degrees F. and will cause a car to misfire, use too much egr trying to warm up etc.. fix the cts then clear codes drive again to see what codes reapear.

alright,that makes sense. Hopefully I'll be able to replace the sensor tomorrow.

Fix the problem that caused the first code, then clear codes. Test drive. If the other codes don't come back, you're good to go.

I concur with stroked93, you have to replace the temp sensor and clear codes first. The P0122 and P1406 codes are both due to incorrect voltages at their respective sensors and, looking at the wiring diagram, both those sensors are very likely to be affected by a disconnected temp sensor. It wouldn't be surprising to see codes related to the MAP and IAT (intake air temp) sensors, too.

Unplug the positive battery cable just before putting in the new coolant sensor. This can clear out incorrect codes due to odd voltages to sensors, in your case.

Make sure everything is connected properly and tight, since there is TONS of electrical that can be hooked up wrong/loosely/oily/wet during the gasket change.

+1 on going to Bonnevilleclub.com
I got my gaskets replaced with their online help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back