Amsoil EaO & WIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My intent with this post isn't specifically to prove that one is superior over the other, but while doing some looking online I noted the following:

Amsoil "EaO Filters provide a filtering efficiency in accordance with industry standard ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 15 microns, while competitive filters containing conventional cellulose medias range from 40 to 80 percent efficiency."

WIX "Our glass enhanced cellulose media captures more of the extremely small 10-12 micron sized particles that can be mised by other media."

The WIX statement is far less specific, but I found it interesting that it speaks to a finer micron level of filtration.

Just because a filter says 98.7% at 15 microns does not mean it wont filter out anything below that. It will still filter at 10 and 7 and 5 micron but at lower and lower capture rates. The Wix statement exploits that, it says it captures "more" of the 10-12 micron particles. It does not mention an efficiency or a beta. I believe the Wix statement. It most likely will capture more of the smaller particles than a comparative straight paper, but its not going to filter the same as a straight microglass filter, like the EaO.

Not to stir up this one, but I would take the filtration of the Amsoil EaO over the Wix in a heartbeat. Again, not the Wix is bad, I just feel that the EaO is better at the job.

hornets_nest.gif

What's missing in most people's view when they see a beta number or efficiency rating is/are the leftovers. It's easily reasoned but often not considered.

A beta number means that the efficiency rating is for that particle size AND LARGER. It doesn't mean that you capture 98.7% of 15um particles and that no larger particles get thorough. It's just that they get through at a much MUCH lower rate.

Wix/NAPA Golds are all you need for a long-long vehicle lifetime. If you desire to eat off
laugh.gif
the inside of your engines, then the Amsoil offers the ultimate, highest-level filtration.

Given that the Amsoil filter performs exactly as claimed, my plans are to change the oil (0W-30 Signature) and filter (EaO) at Amsoil's "severe" recommendaton.

Quote:

Given that the Amsoil filter performs exactly as claimed, my plans are to change the oil (0W-30 Signature) and filter (EaO) at Amsoil's "severe" recommendaton.

Do we really know how the sso oil holds up yet?

Quote:

Quote:

Do we really know how the sso oil holds up yet?

I am sure that the filter will go 17.5k, but am skeptical the oil will go 17.5k....time will tell, hope most people won't take Amsoils word for it. Only real life testing will determine if the oil will go the distance. Different engines beat up on oil differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back