Cevron with Techron or Shell Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always fill up at the Cevron staion beacuse it's closer to my house and is the same price as all the other stations. I've kinda bought in the techron thing too. I see folks add techron to their ride for maintence reasons. The Chevron super is only 90/91 octane here in Alaska. Is it good to run Tecron /chevron all the time?

My other option is a shell staion and it's 5 cents more but the octane is either 91/92. If you could run the same type of gas all the time, which one would you pick. I guess it makes me feel like im running synthetic gas for the same price. Any thoughts? Will the Techron keep the motor cleaner than the shell? Thanks for some insight.

I work at a large oil refinery that is located along the ship channel in Houston, Texas. Many of our Chemical Engineers have worked for Shell or Chevron at one point in their careers. I asked an Engineer that I respect for his opinion on Techron. I was told that Techron is great stuff, which I already knew. I was also told that Chevron sells their Techron fuel additive to competitor companies, like Shell. This was confirmed by two engineers and an operator that worked in a plant where Techron was produced. These competitor companies cannot advertise that they use Techron to treat their gasoline, as Chevron will not allow them to do so. Though I have no conclusive proof, I was told that Shell uses Techron to treat their gasoline. I am sure that the new V-Power formula contains other additives as well, and in different concentrations, but apparently Techron is still part of the mix.

I have compared Chevron 93 and Chell V-Power. Both provide the same mpg in my 2007 Civic. Shell clearly states that their V-Power contains 5X the federally required amount of detergent additives on their website. I have yet to see Chevron make such a claim. Terry also hinted at the quality of V-Power if you want to search through the old threads. For those reasons I now use V-Power exclusively.

Quote:

I work at a large oil refinery that is located along the ship channel in Houston, Texas. Many of our Chemical Engineers have worked for Shell or Chevron at one point in their careers. I asked an Engineer that I respect for his opinion on Techron. I was told that Techron is great stuff, which I already knew. I was also told that Chevron sells their Techron fuel additive to competitor companies, like Shell. This was confirmed by two engineers and an operator that worked in a plant where Techron was produced. These competitor companies cannot advertise that they use Techron to treat their gasoline, as Chevron will not allow them to do so. Though I have no conclusive proof, I was told that Shell uses Techron to treat their gasoline. I am sure that the new V-Power formula contains other additives as well, and in different concentrations, but apparently Techron is still part of the mix.

I have compared Chevron 93 and Chell V-Power. Both provide the same mpg in my 2007 Civic. Shell clearly states that their V-Power contains 5X the federally required amount of detergent additives on their website. I have yet to see Chevron make such a claim. Terry also hinted at the quality of V-Power if you want to search through the old threads. For those reasons I now use V-Power exclusively.

Interesting, some others on the board also hinted about Shell using Techron. Do you know anything about the shell V power additive, is it just the Techron additive?

Say I used Chevron or Shell for all the cars fill ups. Would a fuel cleaner or motor flush ever be needed? The engine should stay Clean right.

Quote:

Say I used Chevron or Shell for all the cars fill ups. Would a fuel cleaner or motor flush ever be needed? The engine should stay Clean right.

I think it just leaves your system cleanER than it would be otherwise. I still think its a good idea to run a periodic cleaning through it. I use FP+ and FP60 in each tank but still run a full cleaner(Redline) every so often.

I have always tried to use Chevron, mainly because of the information on their website and through my own personal experences working on cars. From Techron's website reads....

"TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance" because, "Over the past several years, the minimum level of detergent additive required by the EPA has declined by an estimated 50%". They also state, " When auto manufacturers design and build a new engine and emissions control system, they know they must prove to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that the car can go a long way and still operate with very low emissions. That’s why, since 1973, all three major U.S. auto manufacturers use Chevron gasolines to help their new engines pass the tough EPA 50,000 and 100,000 mile emissions system durability tests." For those that don't know the Top Tier list, it is as follows, taken directly from the website.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

Notice "BP" or "Amoco" is NOT on the list. Just food for thought.
twocents.gif

Quote:

I always fill up at the Cevron staion beacuse it's closer to my house and is the same price as all the other stations. I've kinda bought in the techron thing too. I see folks add techron to their ride for maintence reasons. The Chevron super is only 90/91 octane here in Alaska. Is it good to run Tecron /chevron all the time?

My other option is a shell staion and it's 5 cents more but the octane is either 91/92. If you could run the same type of gas all the time, which one would you pick. I guess it makes me feel like im running synthetic gas for the same price. Any thoughts? Will the Techron keep the motor cleaner than the shell? Thanks for some insight.

Since you use quality gas that's part of the "TOP TIER" club I wouldn't worry about adding any extra bottles of Techron cuz it's already in the Chevron gasoline. Shell has their own formula too so continous usage of these gasolines will insure a much cleaner engine inside.

I generally add extra bottles of Techron because I use Costco gas and I don't know where this gas comes from. One bottle every other month and after my scheduled service.

Durango
usa2.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Since you use quality gas that's part of the "TOP TIER" club I wouldn't worry about adding any extra bottles of Techron cuz it's already in the Chevron gasoline. Shell has their own formula too so continous usage of these gasolines will insure a much cleaner engine inside.

I generally add extra bottles of Techron because I use Costco gas and I don't know where this gas comes from. One bottle every other month and after my scheduled service.

Durango
usa2.gif

I know folks will use the fuel cleaner right before they change their oil. Do you think the constant presence of techron would result in any additional wear or reaction to anything in the motor?

AFMedic,

I've heard that issue before also. I don't believe it would cause any unecessary wear cuz I also use Lucas UCL in the gas as a weekly supplement. Besides in a quality gasoline that "TOP TIER" it should have lubricating additives in it compared to a second rate gas like Costco. Don't get me wrong! I've never had any problems with Costco ever but I admit I can't say where they buy this gas. Rumors is that it's UNOCAL but it's just a rumor.

Durango

I would really stay away from the Costco gas---you know it has to be the cheapest they can get...Stay with chevron or other top teir gas

Ive used Chevron with FP for a about three years, then used Shell with FP for about six months, now im back to Chevron and add Techron Concentrate before an oil change and after the oil change run Lucas UCL every fill up...I like using different things i guess.

Quote:

We can't get Chevron in Ohio But are Shell is Ethanol Free
I mix V-power with a dose of MMO works for me

good choice with the MMO. Also, AAP has BOGO with the shell V-power additive this week on sale. Well, at least in FL they do.
driving.gif

Quote:

I would really stay away from the Costco gas---you know it has to be the cheapest they can get...Stay with chevron or other top teir gas

Steveinak,

I can't help it as gas is rising pretty fast here in Los Angeles where the current price is now $3.35/gallon and continuing. Every week I fill up at Costco where my weekend buddy lives and then drive in back home and top it off using a more better gas like Shell or at the least Arco. I may save pennies but at least I'm saving. Mobil, Chevron, Shell and Unocal are considered millionairs gasoline too me so I have to be frugal minded. That's why I use products like Techron and such to supplement the Costco gas when used.

Durango
patriot.gif

Long story short:

Have a 1965 Dodge with a modified 383 big block. Plugs would get to looking "dirty", kindda like engine loading up. Been running Shell cause the station is close. Decided to switch to Chevron. I got around to installing new plugs after running a few tanks of Chevron. I was surprised how "clean" the plugs looked. I'm still using Chevron only. I've pulled a couple of the plugs since installing the new ones. They still look really good. I'll stay with Chevron, thank you.
smile.gif

Quote:

Long story short:

Have a 1965 Dodge with a modified 383 big block. Plugs would get to looking "dirty", kindda like engine loading up. Been running Shell cause the station is close. Decided to switch to Chevron. I got around to installing new plugs after running a few tanks of Chevron. I was surprised how "clean" the plugs looked. I'm still using Chevron only. I've pulled a couple of the plugs since installing the new ones. They still look really good. I'll stay with Chevron, thank you.
smile.gif

1 point to Chevron
driving.gif

Quote:

I have always tried to use Chevron, mainly because of the information on their website and through my own personal experences working on cars. From Techron's website reads....

"TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance" because, "Over the past several years, the minimum level of detergent additive required by the EPA has declined by an estimated 50%". They also state, " When auto manufacturers design and build a new engine and emissions control system, they know they must prove to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that the car can go a long way and still operate with very low emissions. That’s why, since 1973, all three major U.S. auto manufacturers use Chevron gasolines to help their new engines pass the tough EPA 50,000 and 100,000 mile emissions system durability tests." For those that don't know the Top Tier list, it is as follows, taken directly from the website.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

Notice "BP" or "Amoco" is NOT on the list. Just food for thought.
twocents.gif

Nor is Mobil.... or Exxon....

FWIW, BP is test-marketing a improved fuel that surpasses even the "Top-Tier" standards across all grades.
http://www.bpinvigorate.com/

Is BP gasoline with Invigorate Top Tier?

BP does not participate in the Top Tier program. BP believes that consumer interests are best served when the automotive and oil industries work cooperatively to determine the optimal mix of vehicle hardware and fuel standards.

We believe our new gasoline offer is unique and all grades of BP gasoline with Invigorate exceed the Top Tier requirements with respect to detergent additive content.
///

Here's a response to a e-mail I sent to BP if the gas sold in NY-metro area has Invigorate...

Dear Mr. ....,

Thank you for your interest in BP Gasoline with Invigorate! At this
time, gasoline sold at BP stations in the New York metro area does not
contain the Invigorate additive. We are currently pilot testing our new
offer in several markets in Wisconsin, Virginia and Georgia. We are
optimistic that the pilot tests will be successful and we will then
begin to roll out BP Gasoline with Invigorate to our other markets.

Unfortunately, it is still too early to be able to communicate the
details of our broader roll out schedule at this time.

Kind Regards,
BP US Fuels Marketing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back