Gasoline without 10% Ethanol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting my gas from a certain Chevron station, and for the first time yesterday there is a sticker on the pump that says "Up To 10% Ethanol". First time I've seen this. Up until now I thought Chevron was without that stuff. Is there any gasoline in the northwest that does not have ethanol? This is for gas that I run in my 1965 Coronet with a big block.

Shelby,

There's another recent thread in this section that goes into the issue of ethanol in top tier gas. Summary: The information discussing the base fuel & ethanol is the test fuel for the company's detergent package & not the pump fuel. Top Tier doesn't require ethanol of any amount in pump fuel. It's doesn't prohibit it either though.

Quote:

I think BP, the rub is all top tier gas has around 8% Ethanol.

Is Arco a BP gasoline, or something like that? If so, the Arco's around here have up to 10% Ethanol on the pumps.

The ethanol in gasoline is dictated by law, not brand. All gasoline sold in oregon MUST have at least 10% ethanol sometime around november, otherwise the people running the station are in big, BIG trouble. The only way to get gas without it is at a race track or airport.

Quote:

The ethanol in gasoline is dictated by law, not brand. All gasoline sold in oregon MUST have at least 10% ethanol sometime around november, otherwise the people running the station are in big, BIG trouble. The only way to get gas without it is at a race track or airport.

That explains it. I guess I'll try some race gas blended in with the 92 gas at the pump to see if it helps any. Thanks.

I don't know where you are in Oregon, but on this side of the border, there isn't a 10% ethanol requirement, yet. At some point all diesel in Oregon will have to be at least 2% biodiesel. I don't care for the ethanol in gasoline, but I think the biodiesel in the diesel is good because of lubricity.

However, there won't be any frozen gas line problems in Oregon this year since the ethanol will take out all of the water.

On the bad side of the biodiesel addition, biodiesel tends to loosen and clean out the sludges and other gunk in your tank and lines. This can cause filters to clog. However, once its clean it will stay clean.

I grow hay and I am making money off all this biofuels nonsense. The higher grain prices have led to decreased land in hay production, so hay prices have gone up dramatically.

Everything has its pluses and minuses.

I used to love getting gas in jersey as they were still MTBE based as opposed to Ethanol in NYC. That has still long changed.....but the car sure ran differently with MTBE vs. Ethanol.

Originally Posted By: gunny1
Quote:
I think BP, the rub is all top tier gas has around 8% Ethanol.

Is Arco a BP gasoline, or something like that? If so, the Arco's around here have up to 10% Ethanol on the pumps.

gunny,

Arco is a division of BP.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back