My GTI's new Michelins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that any of you care (or should), but here's a picture of the Michelin Pilot Exalto tires I had installed on my GTI at Costco. Tires were inflated with nitrogen at no extra cost. This must be standard procedure now at Costco, since I didn't request it & they didn't charge for it. Note the green valve stem covers they put on. I guess this indicates a nitrogen fill.

MichelinPilotExalto.jpg

(I need some new VW emblems for my center caps. The glue dried up this summer & they all fell off.)

looks like a fairly big wheel weight?? Heard Michelins balanced easily and needed very little weight?

I ask/comment because I am also considering 235x45x17 Exaltos on BMW factory style 32 wheels on my BMW.

Russell,
The weight is much smaller than the ones that were on the wheel, when I had the cheap Douglas tires.

I'd give the Exaltos a try if I were you. I have no idea how they will hold up long term, but I sure am happy with mine so far.

Nice shoes for your car. What tires did your GTI originally come with? I know VW had different oem tires depending on year. I still have my Goodyear Eagle LS 195/65R 15 stock tires on my VW. Just out of curiosity, what psi did they fill the tires at?

Last edited by a moderator:
that looks like maybe a 1.25oz weight. not that bad really. michelins do balance really easy, a lot depends on the wheels they are going on though.

those were good tires, i sold a bunch when i was doing the tire sales thing, never had any complaints.

white96850turbo - I've only had them for 3 days, and I haven't pushed the limits of the tires yet; so, I can't really say as of right now. They sure do ride nice.
smile.gif

lpcmidst128 - I purchased my GTI used, with 15k miles on it. The original owner replaced the OEM tires with some generic brand of tires. I can't remember the name of them, but they were horrible, as were all the tires I've had on the GTI up to this point. So far, these Michelins are nothing but GREAT!!!!!
ooo.gif

Costco filled the tires to 30 psi, front & rear.

I'll bet you're going to love them long-term.

I've had them on my Camry for ~30,000 miles.

I know we're driving two different types of car but you will soon see that the Exaltos have excellent grip wet, dry and snow in addition to the quiet ride.

Of couse they haven't cured the softness of my Camry's suspension but grip is now maximized and formerly vague steering has become 10X better!

Mine are wearing superbly and I might factor in available Exalto tire sizes when I buy my next new car!

I've put a couple thousand miles on these Michelin Pilot Exalto's now, and I am LOVING them. Best money I ever spent on tires, period!
banana2.gif

The Exaltos are very nice donuts. I'm considering them for the wife's Jetta when the time comes. They've just enough softness to make them pleasant at all speeds. Those or the Conti ExtremeContacts if we feel like spending less. But I normally don't go cheap on tires, so she'll likely get these Michelins.

I've heard people rave over these Exaltos on S60s. Still can't pry the Pilot Sports off our R, though. Love those, even though the price hurts.

After hearing about all of the comments from my sister about her Michelins... and all of the comments on this forum about Michelins, I'm considering putting my Michelins on next week.

I was going to wait until after the first snowfall... Maybe not.

I was thinking about these for my subaru 2.5i when my RE92As wear out... P225/50R16
smile.gif

keep us posted!

I think there are other tires out there that work as well for 1/2 the price of a Michelin. Having said that I have 160,000 miles on the 3 OEM sets of Michelins on my Hyundai (I have never bought a Michelin tire and when time comes to replace my current one's I plan to look around.)

In my experience, Michelin tires ride/balance smooth as glass. They have lower rolling resistance for better fuel economy. If you rotate & balance every 5,000 miles, maintain proper pressure, alignment, they'll probably last around 100,000 miles. Check out the reviews at Tirerack.

I did get 80,000+ out of the 195/60-15's MXV4's on my Elantra but I have a hard time paying $130 each when I can get a set of Yoko Avid TRZ's for about $70 each and they are rated for 80,000 miles as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back