100 octane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Petro Express stations around here, I have noticed them selling 100 octane gas. It is like $5 a gallon or something crazy like that. It isn't E85 or anything as far as I know. What is the use for this stuff? The nearest drag strip is at least 25 miles away or so in Mooresville, NC, but every Petro Express around here has the stuff. Is it just a gimmick for the "Fast and the Furious" types? If it wasn't so expensive I'd put some in the Exploder just to see how it would respond to it.

Quote:

At Petro Express stations around here, I have noticed them selling 100 octane gas. It is like $5 a gallon or something crazy like that. It isn't E85 or anything as far as I know. What is the use for this stuff? The nearest drag strip is at least 25 miles away or so in Mooresville, NC, but every Petro Express around here has the stuff. Is it just a gimmick for the "Fast and the Furious" types? If it wasn't so expensive I'd put some in the Exploder just to see how it would respond to it.

You have people like me with turbo cars that thrive on high octane for high boost. I don't mess with 100 anymore. It's 108 for the street and 116 for the track. Won't do a thing for yor Exploder unless it has a turbo, supercharger, super high compression, or a very large shot of nitrous.

If I'm going to the track in my 87 GN, I will fill up with Sunoco 100 or 110. Otherwise,around town I don't waste my money and use 93. I am running 18-19psi of turbo boost, but I gather that BUICKGN is runing high 20's boost and tons of mods to get 602hp out of an 84 GN (w/o intercooler)that started life at just 200hp. So, he needs the 108 octane stuff!

Quote:

If I'm going to the track in my 87 GN, I will fill up with Sunoco 100 or 110. Otherwise,around town I don't waste my money and use 93. I am running 18-19psi of turbo boost, but I gather that BUICKGN is runing high 20's boost and tons of mods to get 602hp out of an 84 GN (w/o intercooler)that started life at just 200hp. So, he needs the 108 octane stuff!

Good to see another GN owner on here! Yes, big frontmount, GN1 heads, T-64, blah blah.... You're right, 108+ methanol for a conservative 25psi and 24 degrees of timing on the street. Dyno was at 28psi and 28 degrees on 116 octane with no methanol.

Way off topic, but how does yours run? I've been out of the loop for nearly a year after mine was nearly stolen piece by piece by the bodyshop. Luckily my dad has a StageII powered GN in the garage and a T-type for a daily driver so I still get a little fun while mine is being rebuilt.

Quote:

I've been out of the loop for nearly a year after mine was nearly stolen piece by piece by the bodyshop.

What?!?
shocked.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I've been out of the loop for nearly a year after mine was nearly stolen piece by piece by the bodyshop.

What?!?
shocked.gif

How it should look:

After the bodyshop:

It was missing the turbo, injectors, downpipe, and entire front and rear end plus mirrors, interior pieces, door handles, etc.

Quote:

Quote:

Good to see another GN owner on here! Yes, big frontmount, GN1 heads, T-64, blah blah.... You're right, 108+ methanol for a conservative 25psi and 24 degrees of timing on the street. Dyno was at 28psi and 28 degrees on 116 octane with no methanol.

Way off topic, but how does yours run? I've been out of the loop for nearly a year after mine was nearly stolen piece by piece by the bodyshop. Luckily my dad has a StageII powered GN in the garage and a T-type for a daily driver so I still get a little fun while mine is being rebuilt.

Thanks! Well, my car isn't extremely modified or run as fast as yours. But, the last time I was at the track, which was 2 years ago, I ran a 12.2. Temp was low 70's. Basically, I have the normal mods, ATR Pit Pull Chip, better exhaust & downpipe, TA49 Turbo, bigger fuel pump and ATR ram air. Nothing that I can't return the car to completely stock. It has low miles and I actually just started driving it a little more becauste the gas milage is better than my other vehicles! Little V6 will get mid 20's if you stay out of the turbo.

Sorry to hear about your car! What happened with the bodyshop? That would make me
mad.gif

HEY!! I just noticed in the pics that the black one has the RARE leather lear siegler seats! NICE! I always wondered why Buick did not offer these seats in the 86/87 cars...

Quote:

It was missing the turbo, injectors, downpipe, and entire front and rear end plus mirrors, interior pieces, door handles, etc.

Did they take the parts off for the purpose of selling them?

How did they expect to finish your car without the parts?
confused.gif

Quote:

HEY!! I just noticed in the pics that the black one has the RARE leather lear siegler seats! NICE! I always wondered why Buick did not offer these seats in the 86/87 cars...

Yep, both mine and my dad's are 84s with the Lear Siegler. Mine has it too but the previous owner re-upholstered the fronts with cloth. I agree, should've been standard equipment on all GNs and T-types. The funny thing is the leather is much nicer than the leather in my TL.

if you have a car that can take advantage of 100 octane and dont mind paying twice the price for it, great. but 98% of all road cars cant and dont need anything over 87. and putting anything over 87 in them would be a waste.

i have an atv with a trick cylinder head that i can change the compression ratio on. so i can play around with low compression for 97, and increase it for more power but then i need higher octane or she pings. i have it currently set for 93, and fresh 93 at that. but if e85 ever gets here, ill increase the compression for 105 octane e85 and run that.

Quote:

I use Shell V-Power Racing 100 RON in my Mazda turbo every fill. Great stuff

That'd be nice to have around here. I take it, it's unleaded?

As anyone in here prolly already knows, leaded gas does and will play ---- on 02 sensors.

Quote:

Mazda 626 Turbo (GT) and yes unleaded 100 RON.

A Telstar with an F2T?
wink.gif
Are you on www.mx6.com ?
I've got a couple 323GTX's and I'm soooo jealous of the good gas that you guys get, we get 91 octane owlpiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back