Enzo (2) Compare Shell 10W60, GC 0W30 at 1,400 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my neighbor’s 2003 Ferrari Enzo with a total of 8,800 miles on the left column and my 2003 Enzo with a total of 3,000 miles on the right column. Both cars had 1,400 miles on the oil. His obviously had more break-in time. He had the oil changed by the Ferrari dealer using the required 10W60 Shell Helix Ultra Racing oil. I ran 0W30 Castrol GC.

The recommended interval is 5,000 miles, less if on the track. This is strictly off track use in town and on the highway, probably 50-50 for his car and 90 percent city for me.

His oil was tested by: youroil.net, while I got the full, total evaluation from Terry Dyson.
................................................................................................................

_____________Shell....GC
Iron___________ 32...11
Chromium _____ Nickel __________ 2...1
Aluminum ______11...3
lead __________ 16...0
Copper ________25...8
Tin ___________ Silver ________ Titanium ______ Silicon _________ 7...3
Boron __________ 1...3
Sodium ________ 8...3
Potassium ____ Molybdenum __ Phosphorus __1026...935
Zinc ________ 1135...1228
Calcium _____ 1454...1671
Barium _______ Magnesium ___1219...526
Antimony _____ Vanadium ______ Fuel %Vol _____ Abs Oxid ______34...10
Abs Nitr _______11...8
Wtr %vol ______ Vis CS 100C __ 15.8...11.8
Vic CS 40C___not done...66
SAE Grade ____40...30
Gly test ______NEG...0.37 “not antifreeze”
TBN _________not done...7.9

aehaas

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I got the oil up to 190 F when I just kept the engine at 8 grand for a while. Otherwise it never got over 180 F. Terry says that the way the fuel is calculated may, if anything, be an underestimate. He stated that the engine seemed be be the most efficient he has seen in terms of burning the fuel. This makes sense as they get 650 BHP out of the 6.0 liter engine without any turbos or compressors.

aehaas

Looks like your neighbor's Enzo has a lot more bearing and cylinder wear than your Enzo. Does he abuse his motor, or is the extra wear due to the 10W60?

Quote:

.........Terry says that the way the fuel is calculated may, if anything, be an underestimate. He stated that the engine seemed be be the most efficient he has seen in terms of burning the fuel. This makes sense as they get 650 BHP out of the 6.0 liter engine without any turbos or compressors.

aehaas

1.2% fuel in the oil does not strike me as being "most efficient". What am I missing here?

"1.2% fuel in the oil does not strike me as being "most efficient". What am I missing here?"

The efficiency is in the other numbers, some not seen here. The interpretation is proprietary so I cannot give the details. It is part of the superiority of a full Dyson analysis.

aehaas

Seems to me that this is some good, albeit circumstantial evidence that thicker oil doesn't necessarily protect better. Especially considering the highway/city mileage difference between the two favoring the Enzo with the thicker oil.

I love Ferrari's - when I was growing up, a neighbor down the road had either a 308 or 328 - can't really remember exactly which. Fantastic looking, fantastic sounding, and I can only imagine that it drove fantastic as well.

Always enjoyable reading about such neat vehicles.

Thanks much!
-ben
patriot.gif

Although the 0-30 produced lower wear numbers, the 10-60 is in the normal range and posted good numbers. The Helix got beat up a bit looking at the oxid and final weight of the oil.

I would like to see what Amsoils newest signature oil would do in these engines? I guess your running the apple juice oil now
laugh.gif
it will be interesting what numbers you come up with
cheers.gif

"Looks like your neighbor's Enzo has a lot more bearing and cylinder wear than your Enzo. Does he abuse his motor, or is the extra wear due to the 10W60? "

We drive the same streets but sometimes he does not wait long enough before stepping on the gas. In any event the ambient temperatures are rarely below 60 F even in the winter.

aehaas

Why did the Shell take such a big shot in the viscosity?

Did you do a really careful break-in? If so what did you do? By the looks of things the oil did not do everything, you must have been involved there somewhere?

From what I understand, Ferrari breaks the car in at the racetrack before they deliver it to the customer. I think they carefully use WOT the whole way around the track though.

My neighbor and I are the second owners of our cars. Both saw track time by the original owners. Ferrari breaks the engines in before they go in the cars. Each engine is dyno tested for appropriate BHP. If it does not make the minimum required then they do not go in the car.

Later each car is track tested at the factory. If you go to Maranello, the factory site, you will see cars going back and forth to the test track - through town. Each car has 50 - 100 miles on them when they leave the factory. They really get a workout.

When it comes to viscosity loss I have seen many of these 5 and 10W -- 50 and 60's lose viscosity much faster than others having less of a spread. This may be planned from the start. One has to wonder.

aehaas

That 10W-60 has a LOT of VII's in the form of polymeric thickeners. Not good for the engine, lubrication or the oil. Shell sponsors Ferrari for good monetary reasons. But when I get my Ferrari I wouldn't use that oil. Not only did it shear, I'm thinking it's possible that it could be leaving deposits on the ring lands.

One of these days I hope you will try Amsoil, Dr. Haas. You seem to shy away from it for some reason. Redline, RLI, GC......their reputation is somehow, better?

In the past some of the Amsoil products thickened too soon for me. I always look for thinning or stability for start up viscosities, this is better than thickening for me. The current products all seem to be usable to me.

One reason I use other oils is that I have contacts within the oil companies that can answer questions. Dave at Red Line is an example. If he does not know the answer to a question he gets the answer then calls me back. I have gotten to know the people over at RLI and I am impressed with the room temperature characteristics of their motor oils. The numbers look good on paper too. This is why I will be trying their oils next.

Formulations seem to change weekly for motor oils. One has to stay on top of it.

aehaas

Based on this UOA there is no way I'd use Helix 10w60 in anything I own, much less a million dollar Enzo.

GC has no VI improvers to shear, hence its rock solid shear stability. I think Amsoil ACD would be a good choice for these cars under the conditions in which they get driven.

Quote:

I think Amsoil ACD would be a good choice for these cars under the conditions in which they get driven.

I agree. Most of Amsoil's oils use very little VII's and when they do, they use high quality VII's. ASM 0w-20 I don't think uses any at all.

I was involved in the rebuild of an F40 motor and inside the motor was evidence that it was built by a craftsman. On the block casting there was not a rough edge inside, anywhere. The rods were matched, in that the forgings did not have small pads at either end to be ground on to match weight. The grinding to get the weight was carefully done around the big and small ends and very little of that was required. Each rod was a thing of beauty. Every stud had exactly the same amount of threads exposed above the nuts, evidence of hand labor by someone that cared about his work. One stud that went into a blind hole and stuck up about 20 thou too much. Rather than deepen the hole and cause a problem or shorten a carefully made stud with rolled threads and smoothed ends the mechanic use a thicker washer that exposed threads to the right height. This was noted on the build sheet. The casting surfaces behind a galley plug were deburred, shiny and smooth to the touch. The plug itself has rolled threads and was itself deburred and installed flush with a dab of paint bridging across the plug to the block. We actually talked to the guy that built the engine at the factory and he sent us a copy of his build sheet for that exact engine and later he called back to ask how the rework went. He also sent us some go/no-go gauges used in putting the engine back together and a list of notes and tips on assembling the engine. All this for a car built in the late 80's.

I would love to see the inside of your Enzo engine. If the F50 was the replacement for the F40 and the Enzo the replacement for the F50 I would sure like to see the replacement for the Enzo. I did not like the looks of the Enzo in pictures too much but that changed when I saw one in person and was taken for a ride. They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach but, and don't take the wrong, but if you have an Enzo the way to your heart gets detoured to your ears and the seat of your pants.

What was flashpoint?

What method does youroil.net use for water (assume not Karl Fischer) & fuel (assume not FTIR)?

What was TAN and sulfate byproducts? I don't know if youroil.net does these tests in a typical UOA.

What filters were used on both? OEM oil & air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back