best quality 5w-30 dino oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys my first post !!, my question is I just bought my wife a new subaru that takes 5-30 wt oil , I've always run
Castrol GTX, is their 5-30w oil good quality, I don't really want to go synthetic , the car goes 80 miles round trip to work each day ,the oil and filter changes will be done every 3k, any oils that you could recommend would be great , Thanks Craig.
patriot.gif

Welcome aboard!
With 3k OCI in short time period, I'd go with any name brand oil on sale. I myself like Havoline.

Before I went synthetic, I used Pennz. 5W-30 exclusively in my old '90 Cutlass Ciera and got 201K out of it before I sold it. I'd look inside the valve covers from time to time and they were immaculate, except for a little brown tinge on the metal. All internal parts, timing chain, camshaft,etc.etc. were never touched. As of this date, best car I've ever owned PERIOD. This was the 3.3l, cousin to the famous 3.8. Did have to get the intake manifold changed, but it was under warranty. Just saw the car last week and still running.

You can win with ANY SM rated 5w-30 dino for 3k changes. Have a monkey throw a dart at cards with different SM oil names on them. Whatever the monkey hits, use that one.

Sorry Johnny but Arnold doesn't push Pennzoil anymore hasn't in years. My picks Havoline , close behind Valvoline , Motorcraft.

Quote:

Hi guys my first post !!, my question is I just bought my wife a new subaru that takes 5-30 wt oil , I've always run
Castrol GTX, is their 5-30w oil good quality, I don't really want to go synthetic , the car goes 80 miles round trip to work each day ,the oil and filter changes will be done every 3k, any oils that you could recommend would be great , Thanks Craig.
patriot.gif

My vote Pennzoil in the yellow bottle!my2cents

Quote:

You can win with ANY SM rated 5w-30 dino for 3k changes. Have a monkey throw a dart at cards with different SM oil names on them. Whatever the monkey hits, use that one.

Then why isn't Vavloline ever mentioned? Heck, it is as cheap or cheaper than the others at 8.97/jug at Walmart.

Look for the best price on sale or after rebate. That's the only way to distinguish value-wise between any decent SM rated oil for your conditions. All of them will work fine, so try and save yourself a bit of cash - stock up when somethings is really on sale.

Quote:

Look for the best price on sale or after rebate. That's the only way to distinguish value-wise between any decent SM rated oil for your conditions. All of them will work fine, so try and save yourself a bit of cash - stock up when somethings is really on sale.

I agree strongly. Shop the sales and stock up. If you are doing 3-5k runs between changes then anything API SM will do just fine.

I'm blowing through my stash of $1.10 per quart Kendall GT1 5w30.

I run penzoil 5w30 in my corolla, my daily commute round trip to work is 62 miles with 50-55 of that on the highway with the cruise set at 70mph.
-From what others have said and the uoa's I have seen, penzoil, castrol gtx, havoline, valvoline are all good dino 5w30's that can go 3000-6000 easily. I am doing 5K intervals in my corolla.
-If Bill in Utah chimes in he will probably give some good info, he is a big fan of gtx 5/30 and has good uoa's to prove that gtx can go 5K easily.

As others have said, can't really go wrong with todays dino oils.
approved.gif

There is no such thing as the best API 5w-30 engine oil. If a company made the oil one bit better than required and it cost more that chemist or formulator would be looking for a new job. You best hope is to find a small company that can't afford to take multiple shots at the API sequence of testing. The theory is that you will get a better oil but the theory may be worth nothing. A big company that sells boat loads of oil can take more shots at the tests and cut back expensive additives until they just hit the mark. But over all if it's API certed 5w-30 it's about the same as any other API oil. There are no secrets, just marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back