What are the oil capacities for Peterbilt Trucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could have said Freightliner, Kenworth, or Mack, but you guys get the idea.
grin.gif

Is it something like 42 quarts, or is that gallons?
dunno.gif

I changed the oil in a couple of N14 525hp Cummins at my old work. I believe it was 42 quarts. ----, the oil filter alone held about as much motor oil as my little engine does total.

Quote:

I could have said Freightliner, Kenworth, or Mack, but you guys get the idea.
grin.gif

Is it something like 42 quarts, or is that gallons?
dunno.gif

depends on the engine...could be anywhere from 10-14 gallons. My Cummins N14 takes 11 gallons while a new ISX Cummins can take 14 gallons. IIRC, Series 60 Detroits take 10 gallons and I believe 3406E cats also take 10.

Hammer

According to my Chek Chart booklet
Cat engines go from 21 to 44 quarts.
Cummins are from 17 quarts to 38 quarts
Detroit are from 20 qts to 32 qts
Navistar from 11 qts to 38 qts

Quote:

According to my Chek Chart booklet
Cat engines go from 21 to 44 quarts.
Cummins are from 17 quarts to 38 quarts
Detroit are from 20 qts to 32 qts
Navistar from 11 qts to 38 qts

I know for a fact that there are Cummins and Detroit truck engines that exceed the capacity of what that "check chart booklet" says. My current cummins n14 is 44 quarts and a previous 60 series Detroit I had was 40 quarts.

Hammer

To all those, add for whatever optional filters you might have..... I know of some filters on stationary CAT engines that hold 25 gallons in the filter.

anywhere from 40 to 60

i know the Detroit 60 series takes 40 quarts
the Mercedes in Class 8 trucks take 44
Cummins ISX take 52 and i believe the Cats are around 50 as well.

Volvo's are about 35 but they have 3 oil filters
laugh.gif

They are all different, if memory serves me correctly, Cummins N14 took 10 gallons, Mack 400s 7 gallons and I believe the detroits took 9 gallon, but its been awhile. Whenever you have big trucks it all comes from bulk and you just keep filling the jug and making notchs for every trip back to the drum or tank.

^ where i work they have a bulk tank hooked up to a digital feed where you type in how many quarts you need and it automatically pumps that amount, it is fairly accurate

Quote:

crazy.gif

200 hours? That seems really low!

I thought it might be, but its Clark County, what are you going to do?
dunno.gif
Everything is changed except coolant every 1000Hrs. 1ton and under got it every 3k mi and all fluids (except coolant) every 15k mi. Ah well.

The 12.7 Series 60 D-D takes 10.5 gal to fill. Don't know about the new 14L. Peterbilt doesn't use the Detroit engine anymore, as most have Cat power now. Don't know about those, but I guess it is somewhere between 11 and 13 gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back