Continental Pro Contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.
These came OEM on my Passat and wow do they suck in the rain. I was pulling into traffic in 2nd gear today and punched it only to be greeted with massive wheel spin and torque steer. I quickly snapped it back into my original lane so I can avoid the onslaught of incoming traffic. I can't believe these ranked in the upper half among Grand Touring tires on Tirerack surveys.

They will be going on CraigList shortly.....

Your Passat doesn't have traction control? In pretty much any reasonably powerful FWD car you will end up spinning the wheels on wet pavement in 2nd gear. Being a grand touring all-season tire, the CPC did what it could. If you want to stick with all-seasons, look at Bridgestone RE960 or the the Goodyear F1 A/S. It should be a bit better, but still... don't expect miracles.

I've found that traction control, at least on my Passats, don't always keep the wheels from spinning. My 02 used to spin like crazy when I had Michelin Energys. Then when I got G009s, the spinning stopped even in wet. I've got some Falken 912s that I'll put on once winter is over. I also ordered some dedicated winter tires for my 16" wheels so the Contis are gone.

VeeDubb, what did you think of the Energy's?

I am thinking of buying them for improved MPG out of my Ford ranger.

How did they do in the snow? wet roads?
I live just south of Akron, you?

I'm in Columbus and I hated the Energys. They were terrible in the snow and in the wet. Massive torque steer in wet weather and that's with traction control in an engine that only put out 170HP. In the snow/ice they were downright dangerous. I couldn't make it up my drive way and they aren't even that steep - just your normal slightly inclined suburban housing track driveway. And this was with some razor thin 195-65-15s, which are suppose to be better for the winter. I replaced them at 38,000 even though they weren't worn out because I couldn't live with them anymore. I will say though that they got really good gas mileage.

Quote:

I'm in Columbus and I hated the Energys. They were terrible in the snow and in the wet. Massive torque steer in wet weather and that's with traction control in an engine that only put out 170HP.

I would strongly second this opinions. I had the Energys on an '02 Accord V6 and I experience very much the same issues. One of the worst performing tires I've ever had. They were comfy and quiet, but that's where the superlatives end. Unfortunately, there's more to a good tire than just comfort and low noise.

I have the ProContacs on my Fusion. They are an OK tire. They ride nice, are quiet, and good in the rain. I think their "AA" traction rating is a joke though. That's the first tire I've ever driven on with the "AA" rating. Overall traction isn't any better than other all season passenger tires I have driven on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back