Benzine - any good ( I read it is an octane boost)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up some Lubro Moly Speed Tec (it was on sale for 98 cents for 250 ml). From the packaging it looks like a Benzine (benzin) additive (see link for description)

http://www.liquimoly.co.nz/petrol.asp

As far as I can tell, it does nothing. Currently, I am running at 2x the recommended dosage - still doesn't seem to do anything.

from what I have read, this is an additive used when lead was phased out to combat knocking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzene

Well, my engine has never knocked (well, except for about one 1000 mile period for whatever reason that has since passed)

My guess is that this stuff is unnecessary and worthless in any of my cars. I guess I wasted 5 bucks.

Last edited:
Benzin is the German name for our 'gasoline'... contrary to popular belief, gasoline is neither benzene (aromatic C6), or octane (C8). Shoot gasoline in a GC, and youll find that most of it is VERY light boilers.

Benzene is a carcinogen, and not a very nice material to deal with. I dont think that you have benzene in speed tec.

JMH

Yep,
not much in favour of the benzene ring myself, whether it's in fuel, paint thinner, or food adds.

Gas already has benzene in it. Peeking at the Chevron gas MSDS, it lists it at 0.1% to 4.9%. If you have, say, 1% in your tank now, that's about half a quart of benzene in a 10 gallon tank. If that addy was pure benzene, two bottles would push you up to 2%. Not a big deal.

There's almost certainly more than benzene in there, but if it doesn't work, that tells you all you need to know.

oh well, they seem to make a good oil (see my last UOA) and a 'possibly' good oil additive (the one prior) and snakeoil.

I'll chalk it up to $5 on an experiment, $5 less i will allocate towards hobbies next go around.

In the refinery where I work Benzene is treated with extreme care, as in closed loop sample stations and on-stream analyzers. Basically anything that keeps it in the pipes is a good thing. Benzene has a sweet aromatic smell, which is the pleasant odor that many of us associate with gasoline. Remember the scene in Apocalypse Now where the officer stated that he "loved the smell of Napalm in the morning". That smell is/was Benzene. Benzene is a carcinogen, which is converted into Phenol in the human body. Whenever someone is exposed to Benzene at work they are subsequently tested for urinary Phenol content. The scary thing about Benzene is that an acute exposure may have no long term health consequences, or cancer may develop years after the exposure took place. Stay away from this stuff it at all possible!

Quote:

I picked up some Lubro Moly Speed Tec (it was on sale for 98 cents for 250 ml). From the packaging it looks like a Benzine (benzin) additive (see link for description)

http://www.liquimoly.co.nz/petrol.asp

How do you figure there is "benzine: in this product? It's a gasoline (petrol, benzin) additive.

You may want to find out the difference between:

Benzin (gasoline/petrol)
Benzene/Benzol/Benzen)
Benzine (petroleum ether)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yep,
not much in favour of the benzene ring myself, whether it's in fuel, paint thinner, or food adds.

Most of the flavors are made of benzene ring hence the name Aromatic ring. Better not smell or eat anything that smell good.
smile.gif

Bad smells are usually from thiols (sulphur compounds)

Maybe Natto (fermented beans in Japan that smell like poo poo is a good idea.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back