Need Recommendation for BMW M5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

So you tested all Ester or PAO based oils against all group-III oils?

Hammer

No, I just passed on my observations from a stack of UOA's on my engine with different oils. The ester and PAO's performed collectively best.

The S62 is a good news - bad news kind of engine. The good news is that the engine has a big sump and an oil-water heat exchanger. The bad news is that the engine has low tension rings, a double-row drive chain for the cams, it pressurizes the oil to 1450psi for the VANOS and it produces so much carbon you'd think it was burning coal. It's tough on oil and it shows if you do the analysis.

Quote:

Quote:

So you tested all Ester or PAO based oils against all group-III oils?

Hammer

No, I just passed on my observations from a stack of UOA's on my engine with different oils. The ester and PAO's performed collectively best.

The S62 is a good news - bad news kind of engine. The good news is that the engine has a big sump and an oil-water heat exchanger. The bad news is that the engine has low tension rings, a double-row drive chain for the cams, it pressurizes the oil to 1450psi for the VANOS and it produces so much carbon you'd think it was burning coal. It's tough on oil and it shows if you do the analysis.

BMW has such a clever design on the engines, but the design is never simple and costly to repair, it needs to be taken good care of

look at honda's VTEC, the design is so simple and produce higher horsepouwer to displacement ratio than BMW

and the newer valvetronic engines have some problems too, i always like BMW over Honda but these things just turn me down

Quote:

http://www.bmwz8.us/pdf/zz-Engine_Oil_Specs.pdf
With BMW switching the rec'd oil from 10W60 to 5W30 in 3/00 does that mean most M5 owners aren't using the 10W60 anymore?

Would RLI 5W40 be a good choice for this engine?

"The S62 engine incorporates redesigned piston rings from 3/00 which permit the use of BMW
High Performance Synthetic Engine Oil SAE 5W-30."

Interesting, so they changed ring design back in 2000. I'd say that if someone wanted a more robust oil the RLI 5W-40 would be excellent in these engines.

I'm actually a bit more curious about the US-spec S50B32 that came in the E36 M3 and Z-roadster/coupe. My sister has one and I've been wondering if it's ok to run 5W40 in it. And what length OCI to run.

Quote:

I'm actually a bit more curious about the US-spec S50B32 that came in the E36 M3 and Z-roadster/coupe. My sister has one and I've been wondering if it's ok to run 5W40 in it. And what length OCI to run.

My guess would be that it's fine to use. Protection should be phenomenal. I'd start off with a 5K OCI, but honestly I'd have Terry Dyson run an analysis and make his recommendations.

The S50b32 never existed in the US, FYI. Model year '95 got the S50b30, and '96-'99 (thru 2000 or '01 for the MZ3) ran the S52b32.

After watching issues with these engines over time - they like thick oil, with short-ish OCI's. VANOS rattles and failures are normally caused by 2 main conditions - too long of OCI (oil dependent, obviously), and VANOS solenoid failure.

I have a good bit of experience with these engines, and regardless of UOA's, these engines prefer thicker oil. The 10W-60 is a great oil, if you're willing to pay for it. I've ran Castrol GTX 20W-50 in many with never an issue, and recently switched to Rotella Syn 5W-40. Have a friend with a '03 turbo'd 325 (M50b25) that engineers and designs turbo kits for these cars who has also been recently recommending the Rotella Syn for these cars. In a 20 minute session at Road Atlanta neither of us have any lifter OR VANOS noise issues, which cannot be said for most of the E36 guys running factory-spec oil.

Quote:

The S50b32 never existed in the US, FYI. Model year '95 got the S50b30, and '96-'99 (thru 2000 or '01 for the MZ3) ran the S52b32.

After watching issues with these engines over time - they like thick oil, with short-ish OCI's. VANOS rattles and failures are normally caused by 2 main conditions - too long of OCI (oil dependent, obviously), and VANOS solenoid failure.

I have a good bit of experience with these engines, and regardless of UOA's, these engines prefer thicker oil. The 10W-60 is a great oil, if you're willing to pay for it. I've ran Castrol GTX 20W-50 in many with never an issue, and recently switched to Rotella Syn 5W-40. Have a friend with a '03 turbo'd 325 (M50b25) that engineers and designs turbo kits for these cars who has also been recently recommending the Rotella Syn for these cars. In a 20 minute session at Road Atlanta neither of us have any lifter OR VANOS noise issues, which cannot be said for most of the E36 guys running factory-spec oil.

Thanks, I was reading the wrong wikipedia page. An S52 it is.
For the last oil change I used M1 5W40 b/c it was easy to get but next time I might suggest some RLI or Amsoil.

Do you think yearly oil changes would be silly? Or run a 6 month OCI to be safer?
Her MZ3 is a '98 with ~30k. Daily driving is short 2-3 mile trips, with an occasional (monthly?) 3-4 hour freeway trip.

I can remember reading an old Roundel or Bimmer mag and it mentioned that these engines ran mineral 15W40 and frequent oil changes b/c there was a problem with some (crank?) bearings failing. iirc, it was a bearing or assembly problem and not oil related? Doesn't anyone know anything about this? fact? bad memory?

No the S54 in the E46 M3 and the last year of the MZ3 that had bearing issues, and that was mostly a metallurgy problem, and there was a revision to the tune as well.

The S/M5x engines (M50, M52, S50, S52) having a 7 or 8 quart sump, I wouldn't hesitate to run a good oil to 5k miles as long as there is no track use or daily beatings seen. They don't have oil temp issues, and a cooler isn't necessary. In very short trip driving you may get condensation buildup, and I would suggest a nice hour drive perhaps once a week. With that kind of short-trip driving a syn would probably be a better used oil than a dino. I'd suggest take an oil sample at the 6 month mark on w/e oil you happen to be using, and decide on your change interval and next oil usage from there.

Yeah, the oil not getting up to temp had me leaning towards just doing 6 month OCI's. I've suggested weekly hour long drives and UOA's but I think that seems frivolous to my sister. I'll try again. Who knows? Maybe the squeaky wheel will get greased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back