eagle F1 alls eason- anyone tried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering Goodyear Eagle F1 all season for my 95 BMW 525i daily commute (and fun car) in 235x45x17 size.

Anyone tried these tires theye are fairly new?

I have almost decided on Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S as they are highly rated on tire rack. Just want to make the best informed decision I can. TIA

Tough choice. I just ordered the Response Edge I wanted, they have similar construction, with the F1 being a step-up. I'm driving an Accord, so the F1 would be overkill. Maybe the same for you if you drive more conservatively. Exaltos were on special a while ago, if you can get that and a rebate or something....definately worth a shot. Likely a good match for the Beamer, but not as cheap as some other good tires. I take it that price is not a big concern or I'd say lookie at Disc Tire $100/set special and find something there. I got my Eagles there.

To answer you more accurately, the guys on AudiWorld like the F1 a/s a lot. The Tire Forum is extremely usefull in regards to higher performance models and snows.

All the reviews I've read suggests that this is one of the best all season performance tires out there in terms of handling. I didn't get them mainly for two reasons:

1. Price - Falken Ziex 912s seem to offer nearly the dry grip performance at about 40% the price.

2. Weight - These are heavier tires, almost 27 lbs for the 235-45-17s (which is what I have on my Passat). Falkens are 24lbs, General Exclaim UHPs are 22, and Toyo Proxes 4s are 23.6. That is a huge difference in unsprung weight across four tires. Its estimated that 1lb of unsprung weight is roughly equal to 10lbs of sprung weight.

Auto-Union and Veedubb, I think my requirements are more oriented toward a balance of traction in wet/snow with comfort/long wear and less toward ultimate handling performance. That said, I have not seen many reviews of the Goodyear F1. Think I will check some more.

Since the F1s are fairly new, you won't see many reviews on them for snow or long wear performance. The reviews that exist are mainly about handling capabilities and F1s appear to dominate both in dry and wet. If you don't want to be a guinea pig for testing, then I'd go with the Exaltos. Much more proven for snow/long wear.

Also, if you prioritize comfort/long wear over handling, why not look at other categories of tires such as grand touring all seasons? High performance all seasons seem to go against what you want.

Not really. From my research the Exalto tire seems to meet my needs. Even so, I really like the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity as I currently have the Truranza LS-H (in 15 inch size)with 59,000 miles. However, the Serenity costs over $200 each in 17 inch size. That said, i think i will look again at the Grand touring tires again. .

I'm happy with my Kumho ASX! For really good snow performance, Conti Extremes are where it's at. I have a set of snows now, so I can try a/s tires based less on snow performance. Yoko H4S would be great handling and wear, but poor in snow, a tad better is the G-009s, nice tire for your car, quality is excellent. For really long wear and good ride and wet is Yoko TRZ, not speed rated but awesome in non-hyperspace applications. What are the prices in your size for the Exhaltos? Tires only last me about a year, so I like to save money.

I'm definitely eyeballing the TRZs for our minivan. Seems to get great reviews all around. The only other tire I'm considering are the Goodyear Triple Threads, but seems people have fewer first hand experrience with them.

I think the Exaltos in 235x45x17 are about $170 each plus the usal tax, bal and mounting.

My tires tend to last along time. My current Bridgestone turanza ls-h tires have been on the car almost 4 years with almost 60,00 miles and have about 5.5 to 6/32 tread left. Plan to replace in about a month or so depending on weather and traction issues I experience. I am also considering Bridgestone G009. However it is possible they are going to be discontinued per some sources.

Do you know what they will replace the G009s with?
BtW, Costco is selling Exaltos in the 235/45/17 size for $179 mounted and balanced. Plus, you get $60 off right now. So now is the time to get'em.

Have you seen the test of the F1 All-seasons on tirerack.com ? They seem to be biased more towards ultimate performance over comfort.

I think I may get a set for my Subaru Legacy GT wagon this winter when the snow flies.

Just a rumor regarding the g009. Had one tire store tell me that. said this is why the price is fairly low. It is older technology. Also no costco in my area. I tend to buy local for tires. Also just put a new set of tires on my wife's suv last week, so no tires for a while.
frown.gif

Seems like I'm the only one here with first hand experience with these tires.

Well,if I had to sum them up in one word it would be "tenacious" referring to their grip.

Overall I am very happy with them on my C280(215/45/17)as they give a decent ride,superior handling and the best wet traction i've ever experienced with any tire period!

Recommended....at least by me

I'd probally go with the F1s. If tires last a few years, it's more worthwhile to spend for a better model.

JUST installed a set of Eagle F1 All Seasons on my car today in a 225-45-17 on a 17x7 rim. Those guys worked for their pay. The carbon fiber re-enforced sidewalls are a mother to seat the bead. At one point they had 3 guys trying to get the bead to "pop".

One of the techs used a "static" balance and didn't put any weights in the outside of the wheel (no lip to attach a regular weight) and said he didn't need to use stick ons with the static balance. B**L poop! I left the store, hit the interstate and drove right back. The imbalance was NOT even funny. They removed the wheels and took them to be force balanced. The result is confusing. At times, they are fine (up through about 80 mph). Other times, it feels like the balance is off. This was experienced during a 300 mile round trip on various road surfaces and at speeds between 60-80. I'm concerned now that the mounting process may have damaged something. I'll be going back next weekend to get them to re-check.

I replaced a set of F1 GSD3's which I ran for 45,000 miles. Way too early to really compare the two but the new All Seasons seem about the same in the comfort and noise department. I don't dog new tires and it hasn't rained here in a while so I can't comment yet on that. Looks promising if they get the balance issued fixed.

Should never have a 'balance' issue at GoodYear on a 45 aspect GoodYear tire??....either the tire is defective or someone needs to be slapped for wasting your time, have a manager drive the vehicle to advise a final solution.

No problems with my 2005 Caddy STS with 18's. Nice tire, not sure how they will be in the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back