Gasoline in diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hanging out at the gas station up the street (favorite pastime here in Greece
cool.gif
) today. A Mercedes light truck pulls in, and it is a diesel. He pulls at the pumps and to my horror I see that the attendant is pumping about 1 gallon of unleaded gasoline in the tank. After that he puts another 10 gallons of diesel.

I ask the owner and he tells me that he is a regular, and he does that at every fillup
shocked.gif
. I know that diesel may be diluted with lighter fuel (gasoline?) at arctic temperatures but it's in the 50's here at this time of the year.

The engine sounded a little too rattly I must admit. Why would anyone do that? The owner of the truck claims that it runs better like that. Will he eventually grenade the engine?

Thanks for the input!

Most engine will be okay with a small percentage of gasoline. It used to be used for anti-gelling with summer mix diesel in winter temps. Some manufacturers claim that up to 30% is okay. It's also possible he uses veggy oil, and uses the gasoline to thin out the overall mix.

In extreme cold I have used Kerosene to thin diesel fuel but I would never consider using gas.
Why would anyone consider this their are better options one would be power service or other quality additive.

It is not that cold here, it drops down in the 50's min.

Master ACiD: Does the manual say why one should add gasoline in diesel (other than in cold weather)?

My friend uses kero to thin down this diesel in the winter; of course, the kero is not taxed as a motor fuel and the attendant once gave his the lecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back