GC and fuel dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried searching this topic, and found nothing. I would appreciate any help.
I have been using GC in the '99 Accord my wife drives. She may have a very short commute over the coming winter, and I am therefore interested in an oil that does well with excess fuel.
How well does GC deal with fuel dilution?

Apart from the new biosyn, I don't think there is any oil out there that deals well with fuel dillution. The best thing you can do in your situation is to save your money and use cheaper oil but change it more frequently.

I don't know. In some UOAs, PP, a Grp III, seems to do pretty well with fuel dilution.
Also, I'm not talking about a tuned within an inch of its life Audi, but a Honda.

Are you wanting a comparison of how well it does with other oils? If so, what other oils are you looking at? In general, it does ok with the std fuel dilute you are facing, but there are better choice$. How much do you want to pay to play?

This is a good question, and one that I'm trying to evaluate myself. I have a G35 with moderate fuel dilution (1.29%) and GC seems to help with Pb reduction by about 50% over PP 5W30 (EOP). But other wear metals remain about the same. We'll see what happens on my next UOA how things improve after addressing the tune level on the vehicle. Terry Dyson has recommended RLI Biosyn 10W30 HD if we can't make this a perfect burner, like it should be. I have seen recent UOA's on AMSOIL ATM 10W30 and Valvoline Durablend 10W30 that showed great promise with suspected fuel dilution also. More data is needed though. Good luck with your search.

JAG,

I'm guessing increased bore and bearing wear. I can't think of any other consequences that would matter.
To those who sugested more frequent changes, that is exactly what I am trying to avoid. At one time, I took a perverse pleasure in 3K changes, but I now prefer to go 5-6K, and change in that range at my leisure.
WRT pay to play, if my wife really does end up with a commute of 12 miles per day total, I could probably go to annual changes on the car, which would be worth paying a few extra dollars for.
Not sure what RLI sells oil for, but five quarts once a yer would be cheap at any price, for example.

Yeah, increased wear and oil degradation. GC seems overly thick for a short tripper during winter in a 99' Accord. How about Amsoil 0W-20? A thin, long drain oil sounds like a good recipe to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back