Is it just marketing hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the government mandates gasoline additives to keep the fuel systems clean, is there really any advantage to using the higher priced "name" brands? Is there that much difference? I can detect absolutely no performance variance when I use SAM'S Club or when I use BP. I know for a fact the tanker trucks here in Memphis pick up their supplies from the same refinery (Valero), whether it winds up in a SAM's tank or an Exxon tank.

The only difference that I've noticed is that stations that get more frequent delivery (meaning fresher gas) yields me better mileage.

Brand doesn't really seem to make a difference in our Pilot at all.

In anybody's line of fuels, the highest octane has the most cleaners and additives. Some brands have the same in all grades.
I believe that there is a difference in additive quality and quantity from different mfrs.
It seems that Shell, BP, and Chevron are among the best.

Why would they drive different? It is the additives that make the difference over time. The base gas is the same. High additive packages cost more and work. Keeping it clean is really important, if you keep it a long time.

Government minimums don't impress me. The same applies in this situation. Have you ever tried the government cheese, you know, the kind that doesn't melt? I want better than that.

"..government cheese"
Is that the artificial imitation american cheese?
patriot.gif

3Putter,
I remember a conversation from the early 1990's about gas formulations with an engineer from the Valero refinery (Mapco at the time). He said that most, but not all, of the Memphis gasoline was made at Mapco with additives blended in to spec per tanker. He went on to say that Exxon barged their fuel to Memphis and did not buy any from Mapco. From your post it sounds like that has changed. Also IIRC, Conoco at one time had a terminal in Lucy, although I'm not sure what products they unloaded there.

As far as marketing hype vs. vehicle performance, I'd say let your wallet and your observations be your guide. My wife swore up and down that her Volvo 240 required Amoco Ultimate to start and run properly. I thought she was just wasting her money, but hey her car. I filled up her car one day to be nice, but used Amoco regular. I was busted shortly thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back