Why Isn't BP Top Tier fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the BP website, under the FAQ section, somebody asks if BP is Top Tier. BP's response is that their fuel "exceeds" top tier standards for additives.

FAQ Top Tier

So what's going on here? Is it because there is a license fee for top tier?

Only the highest grade meets or exceeds the Top tier requirement. In order to get on the Top Tier list, all grades have to meet or exceed the requirements.

Thanks. That clears it up.
Well, I run premium in my Passat so it looks like I have another choice besides Shell. As for our Sienna, it looks like it's only Shell.

Quote:

Only the highest grade meets or exceeds the Top tier requirement. In order to get on the Top Tier list, all grades have to meet or exceed the requirements.

Do you actually know this to be true.

BP may be one of the companies that does not want to support "top tier" since people may then realize that regular is fine and recommended for their vehicle. That would hurt sale of premium.

Top Tier madnates 10% ethanol or some such non-gasoline garbage to be added to dilute the energy content of the fuel, making you have to buy more each week to get where you're going.

Most cases, the Top Tiers won't get the best gas mileage. The best mileage brands are generally the non top-tier brands with the most pure gas/lesser add-pack.

its for these reasons that i use bp gas. no ethanol, no top tier added cost either.

i dont personally know how the gas prices work where yall live, but in my corner of palm beach bp is among the cheapest gas one can buy. its down there with walmart and "farm store" gas. add my 5% back bp gas card and im not going to say im happy, but i could be doing worse.

Quote:

Quote:

Do you actually know this to be true.

BP may be one of the companies that does not want to support "top tier" since people may then realize that regular is fine and recommended for their vehicle. That would hurt sale of premium.

Yes it is true. From the top tier site:
"1.1 Retail Gasoline Performance Standards. The deposit control performance of unleaded gasoline conforming to section 1 of this document shall be met at the retail level in all grades of gasoline sold by a fuel company in all marketing areas of a selected nation. In addition, conformance to the standards shall mean gasoline sold in the selected nation shall not contain metallic additives, including methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT)."

Quote:

Top Tier madnates 10% ethanol or some such non-gasoline garbage to be added to dilute the energy content of the fuel, making you have to buy more each week to get where you're going.

8 - 10%

My CX 7 needs 91 + octane but the BP station here in Cape Coral FL. is the highest priced premium in the area. BP is ~ 5 cents higher per gallon than Shell VP at 93 octane

Quote:

This is not true any more. If you read BP's New FAQ about their new Invigorate additive. They state that ALL grades MEET the minimum detergency requirement of Top tier and Amoco Ultimate exceeds the detergency requirements. Under my interpretation of the rest of what they say...they say, along the lines of, that their fuel doesn't meet the overall requirements of the top tier spec because they feel some of the specification produces fuel that isn't as good as it should be. They basically say that their fuel is better than being restrained by the spec. I'm guessing the alcohol content portion of the spec doesn't bode well with them.

Hammer

I can't figure out why the toptiergas website specifies a minimum sulphur, olefin, and aromatic content. Don't they mean "maximum"?

"Contain no less than 48 mg/kg sulfur."

Oh, that's the test fuel.

Last edited:
for what its worth, down here in south florida, NONE of the top tier brands have ethanol in them. if they did there would be a ';contains ethanol" sticker on the pumps. and ive never seen one in my life down here.

so maybe the ethanol top tire requirement is a regonal thing.

Quote:

for what its worth, down here in south florida, NONE of the top tier brands have ethanol in them. if they did there would be a ';contains ethanol" sticker on the pumps. and ive never seen one in my life down here.

Same in PA, except for Sonoco, all of their gas has E10, and a few counties that surround Philly.

Quote:

There is no requirement for top tier fuel to contain ethanol! This has been rehashed here again and again. People who keep repeating this trash need to learn how to read!

what do ya mean? right on the top tire website it says :

The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:

Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.

how am i misreading that? i dont get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back