pennzoil platinum 5/20, honda element, 6000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
elementoilanalysis2.jpg

i think it looks pretty good. i was thinking i might try valvoline conventional or motorcraft next time just for a change of pace, but for the price i think i'll stick with pennzoil platinum.

The iron is still a lil high, not too bad tho. Good luck. Hondas are good cars and if you take care of them and dont dog them out, it will give you thousands of trouble free miles

I was going to ask you what kind of driving does this engine see, but with nearly 12k in 10 months it would be a stretch to call it short trip. Unless it's in some serious soccer-parent/taxi service, this shouldn't have too many enriched fuel cycles per mile.

i know nothing about fuel dilution. i have about a 16 mile drive to work, and about a 20 mile drive to church a few times a week. the only short trips are from the gym to the office in the morning and lunch. i don't know what people consider a short trip, but we basically have to drive about 9 or 10 miles from my house to do anything. it's sad, but i really don't know what all these numbers mean. i'm just glad that blackstone saw an improvement.

Quote:

i know nothing about fuel dilution. i have about a 16 mile drive to work, and about a 20 mile drive to church a few times a week. the only short trips are from the gym to the office in the morning and lunch. i don't know what people consider a short trip, but we basically have to drive about 9 or 10 miles from my house to do anything. it's sad, but i really don't know what all these numbers mean. i'm just glad that blackstone saw an improvement.

good thing u bought a honda, since u will be putting a lot of miles on it.
laugh.gif

Those silicon numbers look a touch high to me. I would be checking the air intake system carefully for things like a poorly installed air filter, etc.

Quote:

Those silicon numbers look a touch high to me. I would be checking the air intake system carefully for things like a poorly installed air filter, etc.

i know that some hondas have higher silicon numbers due to the air filter. i've been trying to make sure mine is installed properly and changing often. also, the report says that the air filter seems to be working properly.

Quote:

i know nothing about fuel dilution.

It's not overbearing, but your flash point has been reduced from around 435f to 360F. This is apparently a hard thing to cure in Hondas. I have to assume that the engineers don't live in a vacuum and that they must factor this into the recommendations. I don't know what it would look like if you went the 10k (is that the normal OCI for this vehicle
confused.gif
) and I don't see anything severe duty to your daily drive(s).

Ah-the 'burbs. 10 miles to everywhere. I knew the feeling at one time.

Quote:

Did you have Mobil 1 in this prior?

yes, i used mobil 1 previously. i've got a small stash of the pennzoil platinum that was bogo that i'm using now.

That's why the high iron. Possibly some of the other numbers too will come down as you flush M1 out.

Stick with PP or use a good dino, Pennzoil & QS dino's have all shown good uoa's in your Honda I4. It doesn't need syn. in TN, just doesn't get cold enough.

Great engine though.

i thought you were trying to hassle me somehow but i wasn't getting the joke. i plan on driving the element until
a.) the wheels fall off
b.) a new civic si hatchback
or
c.) the auto transmission falls out

Quote:

i thought you were trying to hassle me somehow but i wasn't getting the joke. i plan on driving the element until
a.) the wheels fall off
b.) a new civic si hatchback
or
c.) the auto transmission falls out

no I wasnt giving u a hard time, I was complementing you on your on your selection of vehicles. My fiancee' has a 91 Civic and it's going strong with 100k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back