Amsoil PI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I sell the stuff and get some great feedback, but has anyone here done a high dose PI treatment?

I just dumped a full bottle of PI in my stone bock 1996 Volvo 855 with M56 MT and 120,000 miles or so. I must say the FI system and intake in general are pretty much neglected in this car. I’ve tried 87 in this car and it’s not only not recommended, it makes the MPG drop and it pings. 89 is bare minimum.

I dumped the PI in about 1/3 tank of gasoline (89 R+M/2) to drive to the USPS PO to mail the package last Tuesday to Hungary. A couple miles there and drive back and shut her down until Thursday. Started normally Thursday AM, etc…..on the way home (my return from work on Thursday first time back after the surgery). I let the RPM’s really drop and bog in 3rd gear on a steep hill up 124th after crossing the valley (Leaving east Kirkland into North Redmond, skirting south Woodinville). I then FLOORED it. No ping, no hesitation – it never does good on the 89 stuff, nor even the 92. HOLY LIGHTNING FROM THE ROMAN G0DS!! The car came to life! I’m not making this stuff up. Something got cleaned out!

I need to re-fill the car soon, so I’m watching this pup.

I was in Superior Sat and the Lubrizol Project Engineer on PI had an excellent 45 min talk on it. They filmed it and you will see it as a training tool shortly.

Someone asked about overdosing and he recommended against it. Said average gallon of gas has about 130 ppm detergent (Fed. Min. standard) where PI has several thousand PPM, 5,000 or so but I can't recall the precise number.

Sounds as though it might have worked for you.

I know that the first time that I used it Pablo, I dumped the bottle, as it was the first time that that particular engine/fuel system had seen anything other than 87 octane pump stuff. After driving the tank, response really picked up, and it seemed to rev easier and idle smoother. Mind you, this was in an '88 Voyager with the Mitsu 3.0L V-6.

I did all kinds of experiments with that engine, and when the folks finally ditched it, it had close to 400K miles on her, with only one minor rebuild at about 175K miles (rings, bearings, and the heads worked on).

I added a bottle of PI and noticed it ran smoother. I freind added it to a Ford E-series van and they got 400 miles on a tank of gas for the first time ever.

I just got back from the regional sales meeting in Lancaster. The PI presentation appears to mirror what Terry says. They too said that gas is just too dirty. The figure was 4300ppm+/- and that 4000 miles was the recommended treatment rate.

Lot's of other good stuff. Gear oils ..EaA stuff.

Quote:

Are you doing this close to your next oil change?

YES! As soon as I'm cleared by the Dr. to climb under car and drain oil....
banana.gif
....It's filled with AME 15W-40 right now, so I'm not too worried. I just want to put the SSO 0W-30 in ASAP!
patriot.gif
thumbsup.gif

I have found that many gas treatment products do in fact put stuff in the engine oil. The full bottle routine of any of these products is a big hit on the system. Sometimes more is not always better.

Hope your feeling better, soon. Not being able to change one's oil would be a strain for me.

"I must say the FI system and intake in general are pretty much neglected in this car."
How can this be? Figured you'd be treating all along the way?
dunno.gif

Quote:

"I must say the FI system and intake in general are pretty much neglected in this car."
How can this be? Figured you'd be treating all along the way?
dunno.gif

This car I never did the FP thing with. Never did any OTC cleaners either. Good candidate for PI.

Quote:

I have found that many gas treatment products do in fact put stuff in the engine oil. The full bottle routine of any of these products is a big hit on the system. Sometimes more is not always better.

Well the drained oil had a distinct aroma - and pretty dark for just a few thousand miles. A very strong smell of fuel/PI - so I'm sure a lot of cleaned up crud ends up in the oil. So yeah, I am glad I got it out of there!! The car sure does run nice now. The interesting thing about PI is, it's mostly amines, so it won't deplete the TBN of the oil.

I think it's well established that any concentrated cleaner that cleans in one tank can skew a UOA.

That said - I used PI at a very strong dose. With a NORMAL dose and good interpretation the effects should be minimal.

Thought I would chime in,

Today I found Amsoil PI at a Truevalue! They carry amsoil products (limited but they do).

I bought a bottle for 7.95 and put it right in my tank at the True Value on a half tank on my 04 STi with 74xxx miles.

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Im excited!

Edit: Oh and the Gas I am currently running as always is Shell 93 Octane Vpower.

Last edited:
If the PI treats 20 gallons at 5000 parts per million of detergent, compared to the min. govt. requirement of 125 ppm already in the fuel, then a half-tank is really getting a strong dose.

My engine seems to idle better @ 115k than it did with 26k.

I have run less than 2 tanks of gas since I ran thru the PI tank.

I will run keep an eye on the idle quality over more tanks of gas.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I know I sell the stuff and get some great feedback, but has anyone here done a high dose PI treatment?

Depends how you define "high dose." I tried PI in two vehicles, neither of which may constitute high dose:

First was my wife's Mitsubishi Lancer. It has about a 10 gallon tank and I put a whole bottle of PI in there right at the 75k mile mark and then filled to FULL with Texaco 87. Didn't notice much difference, if any at all. I will note that this car has always run well and it just may not have had any goo for PI to clean up. It sees mostly in town driving, but this is the car we take on the highway for about four hours every three months or so.

Second was a coworker's 1997 Ford F-150 regular cab long bed with a V6 engine an auto tranny. Under 50k miles, but has lived a hard life. He had been getting about 11 MPG while driving very gently around town. I gave him a bottle of PI to see if that would help. Dumped it into half a tank (about 15 gallons in the tank) and did NOT fill the tank. (we did make sure to intentionally slosh the gas around good to mix it up well) Didn't notice any difference, but I will note that several weeks later, he had a CHECK ENGINE light for a bad O2 sensor. When replaced, his mileage went up to about 13 MPG, so the PI may have helped or may not have. Hard to say.

Like I said, neither may fit your definition of high dose. And neither instance did I see a giant benefit to the PI.

I'll also say that in the past, I've used the Techron cleaner sold at Costco in my '95 Ranger with 115k as well as my '97 Mustang GT with 40k and haven't noticed much difference with it, either, so perhaps my fuel systems just aren't that dirty.

thanks,
ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back