Fuel drier for 2 stroke boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The boat has a Johnson 70hp 3 cyl 2 stroke with oil injection. There appears to be some water in the gas tank. I can't see any, or get any out when I siphon the tank - but when running I get water in the carb bowls.

I am looking for a fuel drier (isopropyl?) that will work with a 2 stroke. I am afraid of using regular fuel drier because I don't want to counteract the oil with alcohol.

Is this a non-issue? What do you recommend.

Here are my best approach RE: your case:

-undo the fuel tank and then drain the fuel to the best of your capability. Rinse the tank with some isopropanol (or boat alcohol) and then air-dry the tank if possible (get an aquarium tank aerator pump).

-drain your carb to rid of any residual fuel that may have water in it.

-assemble everything back how they should be, then add some fresh (I mean extremely fresh) gas mixed with a small % of heet (gas dryer) in it. I wouldn't do more than perhaps 2% in this case.

Run the engine for 15 mins idle with no load to get the engine all warmed up and cozy. Then take it out on a nice little boat ride...that's it!

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much with up to 2 or 3% isopropanol in the gas before I have to worry about injector oil mixing or washout problems. Also: when in doubt (during winter storage time, go find some stab-il or 1,2,4-trimethylbenzene to add into the gas tank and then seal off the filler cap completely.

Good luck.
Q.

Yep - I drained the carbs and put in a little fresh gas (hoping to mix with the old gas). Unfortunately the tank is under the floor with no easy way to remove it.

I will keep my eyes open for some Heet.

Having run a marina for over 20 years all I'll say is, pump out the tank as best you can.

Go to walmart and buy a water seperating fuel filter for about $25 and install it and don't worry. I just bought one, it has a spin on filter. Just change the $6 filter once in a while and cut the old one open to see just how much water you are getting in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back