Need help choosing good oil. Subaru 2.5L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for some input from people with that are more informed about this type of thing than myself. I've read on this site for a while but some of what I read just doesn't click. Just as I could spout off tax law and such and people look at me like
confused.gif
. Anyway, I switched to symthetic (M1) around 8k miles on my 04 Subaru STi. 5w30 M1 disappeared quickly. I then switched to M1 5w40 and seemed to work well (didn't disappear). They discontinuted it, so I switched to RP. My first oil change I used their 10w40 sae formula. They now have a 5w40 sae formula and I picked some up hoping that It will be a good choice. I'm looking for good protection for daily driving and occasional hard driving with out a substantial loss of oil. I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for in an oil and needed some help, or some recommendations based on previous experience.
Thanks

Many WRX/LGT owners have had good results with Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula, generally referred to 'round here and the NASIOC forums as GC (German Castrol, because it's made in Germany). Other M1 choices would be the 10W-30 High Mileage or the 0W-40. Look for oils that meet the ACEA A3 specification as they'll resist the fuel dilution problems (why your M1 5W-30 disappeared) that our Subie motors are prone to. Our motors get too hot to be using SM/CJ-4 energy-conserving oil (the starburst label).

Yeah, I quit using M1 5w30 after about 1 or 2 changed. I've looked for the GC but around here is cannot be found! I may have to make a trip to Pittsburgh to either Pep Boys or Autozone to see if I can find it. I was hoping to find info on the new RP 5w40.

Quote:

Our motors get too hot to be using SM/CJ-4 energy-conserving oil (the starburst label).

Completley wrong. Mobil 1 5w-30 is one of the only oils meeting the HTO-06 spec. Most of all the other OTC synthetics fail to meet this spec. Mobil 1 is excellent for Turbo's.

Mobil 1 HTP-06

Quote:

I've looked for the GC but around here is cannot be found! I may have to make a trip to Pittsburgh to either Pep Boys or Autozone to see if I can find it.

In the U.S., GC is sold only at AutoZone stores (as Castrol Syntec 0W-30, must say "Made in Germany" on the rear label). Don't even bother looking for GC at Pep Boys.

Quote:

Try Pennzoil Platinum in 5W30. Worked well in my STi.

Did you do a uoa and post it? I don't recall seing any Subaru turbo uoa's on PP and I'm curious.

-Dennis

Our 2.2L NA subbie lost oil with M1 5-30 and made a racket. M1 10-30, however worked great w/ 10,000 mile OCI. It did consume .5 qt per 1000 miles on extended high speed trips later in life, but that's a 2.2L pushing an AWD wagon with larger tires over hilly terrain at 75-80mph for lots of hours. Regular driving was not-noticeable consumption.

Me--- I'd give PP 10-30 a whirl.

Consuming half a quart in 1k miles might well be an ideal situation. The oil consumption could mean that your upper cylinder area is getting better lubrication. Have you done a uoa to see how much of your engine oil is gasoline, and if you are experiencing oil shearing? These are the kinds of details you might want to look at while trying to pick an engine oil. If you went to Dyson Analysis for a check you could get a more educated opinion on oil selection. You might just prove that M1 is the choice or move on to something else. Fifty bucks for a look might turn into a good investment. Your car might just be a little harder on oil that the average grocery getter.

Royal Purple 10w30 or 5w40 would be my choices if I were you. I'm using the 5w20 and have had really good results.

Quote:

.......I don't recall seing any Subaru turbo uoa's on PP and I'm curious.

-Dennis

If you do a search at the legacygt web site, there is a UOA for PP in the 2.5L turbo. I have used PP 5W30 and 10W30 in my 2.5L turbo, but have not posted the UOA. They did not stand up that well to fuel dilution. If fuel dilution does not decrease in my bone stock engine, after the work I have done, I will be trying the RLI oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back