Thanks to BITOG I am now obsessed with oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just bored with nothing to do right now at work, so I'm posting my thoughts...

I have been on a quest to find the best synthetic oil possible for my precious little turbo engine. This obsession only worsened a thousand-fold after discovering BITOG.

I get all excited when I'm "just" a few weeks due for an oil change. Is this bad? Is this a sign that I've been bit by the BITOG bug?

I'll be getting my second UOA on my '02 turbo Passat in a few weeks. It's been almost 3 years since the first UOA and I've put nothing but GC in my engine for the past two or so years. The oil this time around will be GC with about 5500 miles on it. I will have about 102k miles on the engine. If this 2nd UOA still shows that there's water present in the sample then I'll replace the PCV/breather system. I didn't have the PCV worked on a few years back because I question the validity of the finding of water in that sample... not because I question Blackstone's methods, but because my sample vial was my used soda bottle! Here's a link to my first UOA with Mobil 0w40.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB3&Number=238266

Regardless of what my next UOA shows, I'll be discontinuing GC for at least the next 10k miles because I'm out of GC, my Autozone stopped carrying it, and I recently acquired 12 quarts of Valvoline Synpower 5w40. Once that's gone, I'll either revert back to Mobil 0w40 or if Autozone re-stocks GC again then I will welcome the elves back into my life.
crackmeup.gif
<-- evil GC elf

Quote:

I'm just bored with nothing to do right now at work, so I'm posting my thoughts...

I have been on a quest to find the best synthetic oil possible for my precious little turbo engine. This obsession only worsened a thousand-fold after discovering BITOG.

I get all excited when I'm "just" a few weeks due for an oil change. Is this bad? Is this a sign that I've been bit by the BITOG bug?

I'll be getting my second UOA on my '02 turbo Passat in a few weeks. It's been almost 3 years since the first UOA and I've put nothing but GC in my engine for the past two or so years. The oil this time around will be GC with about 5500 miles on it. I will have about 102k miles on the engine. If this 2nd UOA still shows that there's water present in the sample then I'll replace the PCV/breather system. I didn't have the PCV worked on a few years back because I question the validity of the finding of water in that sample... not because I question Blackstone's methods, but because my sample vial was my used soda bottle! Here's a link to my first UOA with Mobil 0w40.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB3&Number=238266

Regardless of what my next UOA shows, I'll be discontinuing GC for at least the next 10k miles because I'm out of GC, my Autozone stopped carrying it, and I recently acquired 12 quarts of Valvoline Synpower 5w40. Once that's gone, I'll either revert back to Mobil 0w40 or if Autozone re-stocks GC again then I will welcome the elves back into my life.
crackmeup.gif

Welcome to the OCOD (Obcessive Compulsive Oil Disorder) club.

Might I suggest that you send a sample to Terry Dyson for analysis or interpretation.

Big question is how clean is the metal visible inside the oil fill cap? Does it look like new metal or is it a tad brown or is it dark brown? Even better is to pull off one of the hoses that are part of the PCV system and see how fouled up it is. Mine had brown and black deposits and I had to get most of the system replaced and it cost me over $500 in parts and labor. 2003 1.8T GTI

I've already chosen the Dyson UOA for this time.

Under my oil cap, it's walnut brown... pretty dark in there. I plan to Auto-RX again, about every 50k miles.

Quote:

Quote:

Might I suggest that you send a sample to Terry Dyson for analysis or interpretation.

Since Terry no longer desires to be a part of/contributor to the BITOG family, I suggest a boycott of Dyson Analysis.

That is certainly your prerogative. I will continue, however, to recommend his service to everyone. There is nothing else out there that comes even close. Quite frankly, Terry has forgotten more about tribology than we'll ever know. Having had him perform private consulting for me at his hourly rate, I am a position to know just how good he is. The RLI formulation for the RS4 engine, that many are now receiving the benefits of for free, is a result of his work.

It's petty? For it to cause that much of an uproar, I don't think petty is the right word there, nor is trivial. Or, were you referring to him putting it back in his bio as being petty & beneath him? That, I would agree with.

Quote:

Since Terry no longer desires to be a part of/contributor to the BITOG family, I suggest a boycott of Dyson Analysis.

How about categorically and with extreme prejudice banning, boycotting etc anybody who doesn't worship, for example, the color green?
wink.gif

Wanting to be independent and impartial is a bad thing?
dunno.gif

If I need an UOA interpretation or oil-related advice, Terry Dyson continues to be my top choice.

Quote:

It's petty? For it to cause that much of an uproar, I don't think petty is the right word there, nor is trivial. Or, were you referring to him putting it back in his bio as being petty & beneath him? That, I would agree with.

To put it in his bio like that was petty and beneath him, IMO.

Quote:

Quote:

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion G-MAN.

Unfortunately, the management of BITOG continues to ask for "donations" from users, implying a somewhat democratic or communal organization, while not disclosing that it allows a corporate sponsor to have partial control over this board, in a way which is prejudicial to other potential corporate sponsors.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion G-MAN.

Unfortunately, the management of BITOG continues to ask for "donations" from users, implying a somewhat democratic or communal organization, while not disclosing that it allows a corporate sponsor to have partial control over this board, in a way which is prejudicial to other potential corporate sponsors.

That is ridiculous. There is nothing democratic about BITOG, and there never has been. People are free to contribute to help defray the costs if they want. But no one is required to donate in order to participate.

This thread has gotten way off topic. It needs to get back on topic or I'm going to shut it down.

With the walnut colored metal observation, you should definately take a look inside a PCV hose. What has been the engine's oil regime...brands, grades, and OCIs? I usually did around 5k mi OCIs and never over around 6500 miles. It got many brands of synthetics, mostly VW 502 oils.

Oil history of my car started, shall we say, sub-optimally:

First 30k (2 years) of its life, the car wasn't mine, it started with dealership 5k dino oil changes.
After 30k, switched to Mobil 0w40, changed every 5-6k.
Auto-RX cycle at 50k with a group III rinse.
After 52k, started GC and changed it every 5-6.5k. One time this year though I foolishly went 8k. I won't be doing that again, there's just no need for that unneccessary risk.

... so for the past 3 years it's been one Auto-RX and GC with avg OCI of 6k

... sorry I keep posting faster than I think of these things...

I'm starting my 2nd Auto-RX next week after the oil change, and will follow it with a 3rd cycle.

Did you notice if the walnut colored metal stayed constant once you bought it or did it darken while you owned it? I'd guess the 5k mi. dino oil changes done before you owned it were unkind to the engine in terms of deposits.

Auto-RX is a good product but it won't clean the PCV system. I wasn't sure if you thought it might but I figure I better say it just in case. Having a fully functioning PCV system is key. No oil can work well if the system isn't working as intended.

Jag,
What's the latest on your 1.8T since you cleaned the pcv? Have you noticed changes in performance/mpg now that you've spent some more time driving it?

BTW, I remember how sensitive my 1.8T was on the butt dyno. When the oil sheared or diluted (or even when I changed oils), I'd detect noticeable difference in turbo response and mpg. On my 2.0T FSI, I just changed the oil and I can't detect any difference. No change in MPG either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back