Renewable Lubricates Inc (Interested)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have to post 2 UOA's of 5w-30 AMSOIL ASL but we're not at the OCI yet and we still have weeks to go. I'm looking at RLI with great interest since my AMSOIL stash is gone but I don't know if it's worth the money or it will work any better. I know oil can only protect so much but I like a tough oil, the best. I would like to get information from professional drivers and non-professional drivers who've had experience with RLI why, if it is, any better then the others in its class. I drive like I've stated in other posts a 07 Honda Civic Si which is a kick in the pants to drive. Fun is all I can say. I drive hard so I want a good oil in the group 4 or 5 class. Any comments regarding RLI?

Thanks men let's be constructive.

I'm interested. Ordered a gallon and will be using it in the second oil fill in our '07 Suzuki SX4 2.0L. I hope that it becomes available locally, soon.

I've gone to their web site, and from what I can tell, they're got everything except motor oil. Maybe you guys are referring to their chainsaw bar and chain oil.
dunno.gif

Quote:

I've gone to their web site, and from what I can tell, they're got everything except motor oil. Maybe you guys are referring to their chainsaw bar and chain oil.
dunno.gif

Their web site is poorly designed, but motor oil is there. You just have to hunt for it.

And, please, no one post any links to the RLI web site.
nono.gif

Look for the menu selection that reads,

NEW! High Performance
Motor and Racing Oils

If you are in doubt you can try the phone number but based on the rules here you will have to google the company.

Forest, RLI BioSynthetic is tremendous oil. I worked with Terry Dyson to have their 5W-40 formulated for Audi/VW engine applications, and have been using it of the last 15K miles in my Audi RS4 engine. I've posted my complete UOA record here:

RS4 Complete UOA record

I have no doubt that any of their PCMO or HD oils will perform well in your engine. Whether they will perform better than Amsoil ASL remains to be seen. In my application, RLI has reduced fuel dilution and significantly reduced wear. YMMV

Don't want to create any controversy, but I am planning on a blend.
box.gif
The RLI 5w-30 blended with Schaeffer's 7000 5w-30 & VSOT.
In there now is approx. 50% Schaeffer's 7000 5w-30, 35% Valvoline Synpower 5w30 Full Synthetic, and 15% VSOT.
hide.gif

Don't want to create any controversy, but I am planning on a blend. The RLI 5w-30 blended with Schaeffer's 7000 5w-30 & VSOT.

Like Pablo once said to me "make sure you run a UOA".

Until the dream is destroyed here on BITOG, the planned blend will be 70% RLI, 15% Schaeffer's, 15% VSOT. Planning a UOA. Since this will be the second fill, (factory fill dumped at 870 miles,) not sure if running a UOA on what is in there now would be productive. I'm thinking that the Break-in period may skew the results.

Quote:

How is that possible when RLI is derived from canola oil and Schaeffer's is derived from petroleum? How are they going to mix?

Quote:

Don't want to create any controversy, but I am planning on a blend.
box.gif
In there now is approx. 50% Schaeffer's 7000 5w-30, 35% Valvoline Synpower 5w30 Full Synthetic, and 15% VSOT.
hide.gif

Why would you do that? Do you really think you can create a better mix than the Bill Garmier, the formulator? Do you worry about additive clash?

Quote:

Quote:

How is that possible when RLI is derived from canola oil and Schaeffer's is derived from petroleum? How are they going to mix?

Where did you get the idea that RLI is produced from canola oil?

I believe that RLI uses high oleic soybean oils in their products. RLI's oil mixes quite well with conventional and synthetic oils. There is already an interesting mix of different oil stock in their formulations.

RLI is truly a kitchen sink oil. I would really hesitate to mix it with any other oils at this point in time. If your engine really needs all the copper and antimony and other elemental additives, go for it. Honda does not seem to need this.

Quote:

RLI is truly a kitchen sink oil. I would really hesitate to mix it with any other oils at this point in time. If your engine really needs all the copper and antimony and other elemental additives, go for it. Honda does not seem to need this.

Pablo, where do you get that idea, and how can you possibly make that statement? Do you have knowledge of the formulation criteria used for their oils?

Kitchen sink could be taken as a slur, and assumes that the oil was not formulated purposefully. Not all of their oils utilize a copper/antimony additive package. Not all of their oils are formulated with hefty racing/HD additives. And, like most state-of-the-art oils, not all of their additives show up in a VOA or UOA.

Quote:

Pablo, where do you get that idea, and how can you possibly make that statement? Do you have knowledge of the formulation criteria used for their oils?

I am free to make statements that I see as factual and truthful. Is there some prohibition on me writing? Seems like I get jumped on every time I mention RLI.

I get this idea from reading and listening. I have NOTHING against RLI, and have no secret inside information other than speaking with people who have dissected the oil. The HD formula survives fuel dilution mainly because it has a very high viscosity oil for the grade, the wear numbers are fair because the oil has a LOT of elemental additives. The oil MAY not be truly be mixable with other oils, due to the plant derived portions. There have even been reports of separation. These are not disparaging comments, it's the truth as I see it. My comments are mainly directed at the OP, though. Honda engines simply don't seem to need fully loaded oils.

Paul,
No one is questioning if you are free to make statements or not. It's more why are you saying that? So, what about the known fuel dilution issue with Honda (& many other vehicles)? I'll be fairly disappointed if you can really believe that viscosity is the cause of fuel dilution survival. Wow. It stinks in here.

I had never thought about "kitchen sink oil" being a slur. New one on me. I always thought of it as a compliment, but I can see where it could be demeaning.

I thought it was from Sunflower Seed Oil!
smile.gif

The minuscule % of petroleum introduced from adding the Schaeffer's 7000 shouldn't be a problem.

I think many oils do fine in Honda, even in some with a bit of fuel dilution. It is really true in the Audi comparison that the RLI oil is right at an SAE 50, (> 16 cSt) while the other oils are at the 13 cSt or less range. Why does this stink? Because it's not a fair comparison? I'm not exactly going to say that, but the word I used was "mainly" and I will stick by that. If you compare, say otherwise equal oils in a super fuel diluting engine, a higher vis oil will usually come out on top. Throw in massive amounts of additives and the oil will do fine. Is this really so bad?

I'm just saying it's not necessary for all conditions, even moderate fuel dilute conditions, and whammo I'm cannon fodder.

My phone # is on my web site. People call me and tell me stuff. Do I believe everything I hear? Of course not. But things begin to add up.

Have I said anything REALLY bad about RLI? Please, I'm open to any and all input.

Quote:

The minuscule % of petroleum introduced from adding the Schaeffer's 7000 shouldn't be a problem.

Probably not - but other than doing a UOA, please retain a sample of the exact mixture and hold it on the shelf in a clear glass bottle. I doubt you will have any problem, but many of us want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back