Need Oil Recommendation for MB 229.51 Crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2007 Chrysler Crossfire which uses the MB 3.2 V6 and owners manual calls for MB 229.51/229.31 oil but is labelled Mobil 1 0w40 in the engine compartment.

I plan to do my own oil changes-3k for first then 6.5k (2x per year) or whenever FSS computer says.

What are your recommendations (cost would like to stay under $130 which is what the dealer would charge)? Can I run a 0w30? The choices I have so far are-

Elf Oil (dealer is only 5 miles from my house)- ELF Full-Tech 0W30

Amsoil-the new signature 0w30 or 5w40 Euro Formula

OR?

Why not Mobil 1 0W-40? Cost should be less than any of the other choices you mentioned, it performs well in UOA's, and should easily handle a 6,500 mile interval in your V6.

From what I have read people are now saying MB is filling their cars with this-

5W-40 ESP Formula M

and it maybe easier to find the other oils vs. going to autozone for the mobil 1 (my autozone does not stock very well) and is 10-15 miles away vs. a napa (amsoil) and the elf distributor who are only 1-5 miles away.

Can't find the edit button...

Also, since the 0w40 shears down to near 30 and will be using during winter maybe one of the others may lead to slightly better mpg?

Just spoke with the elf dealer, his pricing is actually less then the mobil 1. It looks like i can use the following elf oils-

Elf Solaris LSX 5w30
Elf Excellum Full-Tech 0w30
Elf Excellum 229.5 5w30

But does the Mobil 1 0w40 actually shear down to a 30w?

MB 229.5 has "normal" levels of sulfated ash, phosphorous, and sulfur (SAPS), while MB 229.51 is a Mid-SAPS oil. Mid-SAPS is more friendly to the catalytic convertor. That 5W-40 that you said people are now using is a Mid-SAPS oil.

Your engine compartment sticker (M1 0W-40) is at odds with the owner's manual's recommendation of a Mid-SAPS oil. I'd find out what the real "scoop" is on recommendations before making an oil choice that's not Mid-SAPS.

The M1 0W-40 will shear; the question is how much and whether it causes any harm. The answer is it depends on the application. For example, in my old Ferrari V8 engine M1 0W-40 sheared from over 14 cSt at 100*C to about 11.3 cSt in only 1250 miles. That's definitely a 30-weight figure. But the wear numbers were excellent. (Of course they should have been at such low mileage). So just experiment to see what you and your engine like best. Looks as if you have lots of good choices and low risk no matter what you do.

Ok. Double-checked and it appears I was mistaken. Manual calls for 229.5/229.3 but online material says the 2007 spec was 229.51. Now if I can learn how to edit the thread I can correct the title.

Only a moderator can edit a title or a post that's been in place too long to be editable by the poster of it.

Just pick a MB 229.5 or 229.51 oil that suits your cost and convenience best and then see how you like and adjust from there. You aren't doing long drains so I'm not concerned with which oil meeting the above specs you first choose.

Crossfires come from the factory with 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W40 in them and mine, which I purchased new, has a "Mobil 1 0W40" sticker under the hood. I figured that made the decision pretty easy for me!

I have an '04 Mercedes ML350 with the 3.7L engine. It calls for the same oil spec as your Crossfire. I've been using GC 0w30 & the ML seems perfectly happy with it. GC meets the 229.3/229.5 specs.

M1 0w40 will also work fine if you want an easily available oil. I've used it many times in my '00 VW 1.8T engine. I have two UOA's where it sheared to a 30 wt., but wear metals were very low. IMO, the shearing of M1 0w40 doesn't hurt a thing.

I was able to find the following oils easily-

Elf and Amsoil are right around the corner and the mobil 1 is not available at my local napa and autozone is a good 25 mile round trip away. I think I will start with the elf first since it is cheaper, and then the amsoil if the elf does not work out. Now I just have to wait for all my parts to come in-KN oil filters, torque wrench, oil filter cap wrench, mityvac and I am ready for my first oil change.

Quote:

I was able to find the following oils easily-

Elf and Amsoil are right around the corner and the mobil 1 is not available at my local napa and autozone is a good 25 mile round trip away. I think I will start with the elf first since it is cheaper, and then the amsoil if the elf does not work out. Now I just have to wait for all my parts to come in-KN oil filters, torque wrench, oil filter cap wrench, mityvac and I am ready for my first oil change.

IMO Amsoil is the best of the two oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back