Filter choice/opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have an opinion on Emgo filters for bikes? My son is getting into street riding, and he has purchased an 02 SV650S. Pretty sweet bike, IMO, good handling characteristics, powerful enough to get out of trouble, without so much power and looks to get into trouble. A nice sport touring bike. 18k miles, PO was a very detail oriented guy; the bike was well maintained, and had lots of extras: hard bags, heli bars, scottoiler. Emgo makes two filters, a generic OEM replacement, and an upgraded line called Micro-Tech. Factory blurb indicates anything above 10 micron is filtered. Filter feels heavy, looks to be well made, better than the OEM Suzuki replacement by feel alone. Fells a lot better on the wallet too... nearly 5.00 less than OEM. Any opinions, or experience with this filter line?
e1082222.jpg

Just get you a Wix filter and be done with it. As far as oil goes Rotella 15w40 or Rotella Synthetic 5w40 will do just fine.

I have only used the oem filters and now Purolator pure one filters on my 2002 Kawasaki Ninja zx9r. I have no experience with emgo. I dont think you will have a problem with the emgo filters. Even the walmart supertech filter is supossed to be a pretty decent filter (depending on who you talk to).

I would say go with what you feel like going with. You can get the purolator filters at amazon.com usually 2 for 1 for $5.88 (in store price for 1 filter)

P.S.
I would get 1 oem filter to keep on hand so if the bike does have to go in for service you can put the oem on so they wont say anything if anything ever comes up.

I agree with the rotella oil. The chevron delo and mobil delvac 15W40 has lots of devoted followers as well. I am running the rotella syn 5W40 and have run the 15/40 in my ninja and run it in my dirtbike as well

Not in my book.
That's a cycle spec filter.
Suzuki has an odd thread pitch on their cycle filters; no auto that I'm aware of has the same thread.
Most Hondas, for example, CAN use any filter spec'd for an Accord or a Civic.

Quote:

BTW, according to my listings, the Wix spec for Suzuki filters is wrong. Suzuki spin on filters have a 22mm thread.

Whoa.... I put the WIX 51359 on my GSXR last week. It seemed to spin on just fine. Should I be worried????

Last edited:
I'm not saying that the Wix filter or it's equivilent Purolator won't fit.
It's that the site lists that filter as 20mm and it's actually 22mm.

They also list the displacement of some of the Suzuki Boulevards wrong.

Quote:

I'm not saying that the Wix filter or it's equivilent Purolator won't fit.
It's that the site lists that filter as 20mm and it's actually 22mm.

They also list the displacement of some of the Suzuki Boulevards wrong.

So I'm safe?

Quote:

BTW, according to my listings, the Wix spec for Suzuki filters is wrong. Suzuki spin on filters have a 22mm thread.

Suzys have a 20mm thread, at least this SV does. Also, I'm hesitant to go with Wix.. a very small media pack in comparison to OEM. Thanks for the replies, gents. I have always had good luck with a 50/50 of Delvac and M1 15-50. That is what I'll run in this bike also, and I expect no issues. The Emgo filter literature indicates a maximum change cycle of 1500 miles. Could be because it loads up from clutch material, could be something else. I'll find out when I change it, and cut the used one open. I'm not sure I agree that the Emgo's are cheap. Maybe the entry level, generic 5.00 filter. This one is heavy, and stout. As far as Fram... never. They may be OK, but they have no level of trust IMO.

"So I'm safe? "
Yes, if the filter fits, you're good to go.
I didn't check the GSXR filter spec., I looked at the SV650
filter.
The Wix filters listed are the correct ones. I commented on the particular specifications of one of the Wix filters. I have been looking for an auto filter for a friends Boulavard 80, can't find one. Bummer!

The Emgo is on, and I have no issues with it. I'll cut it open in 1500 miles and we'll see what it looks like. FYI, while stumbling around the Amazon website, I found 2 packs of Purolator ML16818's for 11.98. These fit nearly any Suzy on the road today including the liter bikes.

Suzuki's do indeed use a M20x1.0 filter thread. Wix does advertise theirs as a M20x1.0 on their website, but I know the K&N filter uses a 1.5 pitch. I actually have the K&N filter on my 2001 SV650s right now, wasn't aware of this issue until after I changed the oil (bought the bike a few months ago).

From my reading, it seems like the Suzuki OEM filter is the safest and best bet for the SV's and other Suzuki's.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

http://tobycreek.org/oil_filters/suzuki.shtml

I have heard they can be found for as low as $4.50 per filter, but cheapest I have found is $7.50 so far.

Any company that markets their oil filters as

"horsepower in a box" isnt going to get my business, I can tell you that.

Are we that dumb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back