1999 Ford Contour Clicking Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI.
Manufactured: 10/98
130.000 miles

I started to get this noise which I think is/was coming from the valve cover BUT, today when I started the car and heard that noise fast clack clack and looked at the oil pan and top of the engine. I was able to listen right on the oilpan and can hear it inside going clack clack clack. That noise will decrease but remain consistant now as a light clack clack. Only when sitting like 20 minutes and restart it, you hear it from under the car and top and again it quites to a light clack or tick.

I have good power in the car and runs well for the most part and no smoke from the exhaust.

They said the lifters and some other words they used I forgot. They said it travels through the engine and may appear to to sound like the bottom of or near the oil pan.

I was told to add a quart of transmission oil to the engine and it would resolve the issue.

Also was told that since I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil, it usually make the noise worse and that I should resort back to regular oil increase the weight to 10W30 instead of the 5W30 and possible add B&G or Lucas or some other additive to it if I don't want to add the tranny fluid.

What would you suggest I do?

Thanks

Quote:

1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI.
Manufactured: 10/98
130.000 miles

I started to get this noise which I think is coming from the valve cover although, now the click/clack sounds like it was coming near the oil pan and top of the engine. I was able to listen right on the oilpan and can hear it inside going click/clack. It decreases when warmed up. Even sitting like 20 minutes and restart it, you hear it still.

I have good power in the car and runs well for the most part and no smoke from the exhaust.

The dealer said it was the lifters and some other words they used I forgot. They said it travels through the engine and may appear to to sound like the bottom of or near the oil pan.

I was told to add a quart of transmission oil to the engine and it would resolve the issue.

Also was told that since I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil, it usually make the noise worse and that I should resort back to regular oil increase the weight to 10W30 instead of the 5W30 and possible add B&G or Lucas or some other additive to it if I don't want to add the tranny fluid.

What would you suggest I do?

Thanks

Quote:

Don't do that! You'll fry the whole engine doing that!

Mobil 1 5W-30 is the most problematic oil on this whole board; it's been the subject of numerous noise complaints. I'd say drain it out and replace it with a good conventional 10W-30 and the applicable Motorcraft filter.

I think that if you go to the Contour web site you will note that the clacking noise on these Zetec engines are common, very loud when cold and almost gone when engine hot. I ahve a 96 Mystique with the 2 L Zetec, made this noise since we got it in 1998. IMO this is of no concern as long as it does not get worse and is basically gone when engine is hot. I have used Amsoil 0W30 for the last 6 years in this engine with 7500-12,000 mile OCI, engine basically uses no oil, just sounds like a diesel when cold

Thanks. Which brand oil should I use then? And should I use any type of additive?

I also been using the Motorcraft oil filter

Quote:

Make sure you are using the Motorcraft 820 oil filter with the silicon ADBV. I would also try 5W-20 with a bottle of STP Blue.

Wow! the Zetec 2.0L engines use either the FL200 for the earlier engines or the FL2005 for the later Zetec engines. I believe the FL2005 was used when Ford went to the variable cam/valve? engine. The early variable cam/valve? engines using the FL200 had problems similar to yours. That's when they came out with the FL2005. Make sure you are using the correct design oil filter for your year Contour.

Whimsey

Quote:

The variable cam timing mechanism on that engine doesn't particularly like 10W30. Stick with 5W30.

Which brand oil should I use and should I use any additive?

Quote:

Wow! the Zetec 2.0L engines use either the FL200 for the earlier engines or the FL2005 for the later Zetec engines.
Whimsey

The 820 may only be for the V6.

So use the FL 200S then "S" signals silicon ADBV. Using a cheaper ADBV filter brand may create startup noise. The 5W-20 flows easier & the STP Blue has engine-quieting properties. There is a thread on STP Blue in the Additives Forum here at BITOG. It's not the best additive out there - but it sounds like it may fit this application.

Quote:

Quote:

Wow! the Zetec 2.0L engines use either the FL200 for the earlier engines or the FL2005 for the later Zetec engines.
Whimsey

The 820 may only be for the V6.

So use the FL 200S then "S" signals silicon ADBV. Using a cheaper ADBV filter brand may create startup noise. The 5W-20 flows easier & the STP Blue has engine-quieting properties. There is a thread on STP Blue in the Additives Forum here at BITOG. It's not the best additive out there - but it sounds like it may fit this application.

Thanks. I still am not sure which Brand oil you suggest?

And should I stay with Synthetic or other?

My Motorcraft filter states: FL-2005

try Motorcraft 5w30 semi synthetic
lots of great UOAs posted and on sale at many locations, try your local WalMart or Sams

Motorcraft FL2005 oil filter will solve many starting noise complaints, ans is good for your engine!
5-20 or 5-30 oil should be used, and no thicker.
The injectors make a lot of noise - it's tough to discern the point of origin, sometimes.
You have mechanical cams - no hydraulic adjusters. Shims or new buckets are the way to adjust the lash.
The lash may have increased over the years -it's pretty easy to check, but hard to adjust.
I'd check them cold and see where they're at.
Don't put tranny fluid in your engine.

Quote:

try Motorcraft 5w30 semi synthetic
lots of great UOAs posted and on sale at many locations, try your local WalMart or Sams

I don't think Motorcraft has a *semi synthetic* oil.

The only one I found is the SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil.

Your engine has solid lifters. Have you ever had them adjusted?

Quote:

Quote:

How do you adjust them?

I think that engine has bucket tappets and they are adjusted with shims. You need to take it to a good shop and get it done.

Most people never get the valves adjusted on these things so all high mileage ones make a lot of racket.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How do you adjust them?

I think that engine has bucket tappets and they are adjusted with shims. You need to take it to a good shop and get it done.

Most people never get the valves adjusted on these things so all high mileage ones make a lot of racket.

Which brand oil do you suggest? Mobil1 synthetic, non-synthetic, Valvoline, Motorcraft, ect?

Thanks

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How do you adjust them?

Which brand oil do you suggest? Mobil1 synthetic, non-synthetic, Valvoline, Motorcraft, ect?

Thanks

Oil is irrelevant with solid lifters that are making noise. The noise is mechanical and changing oil weights or brands won't fix it. You need to get the valves adjusted then worry about what oil to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back