Costco gas who supplies it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oilboy,

I heard rumor that it's a cheaper grade gasoline from Unocal 76. Rumors only. In addition the other rumor is that it's left over gas from various gas companies. Regardless it's gas that fits my wallet.

Durango

Gas is gas except for the little bit of additives the companies put in it. In most parts of the country it comes out of the same pipe line. I use Costco gas all the time with zero problems.

Those "little bit of additives" can make a world of difference over the long haul. My vehicles seem to run better on cheaper gas - but I attribute that to more actual gasoline & less additives. So what's good now - could signal "pay-the-piper later"

That's why I have three gasoline credit cards. I rotate my purchases between Shell - Mobil - Speedway. My (5) driveway vehicles continue to be trouble-free that way -- going on 25 years now.

Quote:

Does it vary from place to place?

yep, in my local it is Tesaro "graded" fuel, not the cheaper "un-graded" fuel. Same stuff that gets delevered to most the big brands in the area, even Safeway. The cheaper un graded and/or 10% eth fuels here are sold at 76 and arco. Most the ma pa's stores are on a program where they order as needed and get fuel from whatever truck is in the area through a broker dispatcher. So they could have a blend of just about anything.

The only tangable difference in additive I have seen in my area has been chevron (and now texaco) vs. any of the other brands. This has been noted by frequent plug reads on my fast toys. Chevron stains the plug a blueish color, all others a reddish color. Could just be dye? but it's visible that the additive is different. As far as the a detergent levels being higher or lower based on prices or brand, I really doubt it based on conservations with the tankers drivers. One exception may be the 10% eth ----, they may feel the eth has some cleaning ability so can reduce the additive? just my theory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back