Pros and Cons-moving to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to move to get that mountain view all day! Don't have school age kids so school district not important.

Any areas recommended or to avoid? Don't want to fight Denver traffic every day. Thanks.
welcome.gif

Now why would you want to do a fool thing like that?
crazy.gif
Move the the PNW. Lots of mountains, some still erupting, Markc will defend you, and Pable will hand deliver your Amsol.
grin.gif
What more could you want??
fruit.gif
coffee.gif

Quote:

Looking to move to get that mountain view all day! Don't have school age kids so school district not important.

Any areas recommended or to avoid? Don't want to fight Denver traffic every day. Thanks.
welcome.gif

Could you hande the lack of humidity
grin.gif

I've seen pictures of Colorado and there is white stuff all over the place. I'm from S Calif and we have smog instead.

If I were going to live in Colorado near a big city, it would certainly not be anywhere near Denver or parts northward. All too congested and much of the thinking is what is termed as "progressive" if you get my drift. The Colorado Springs vicinity is much nicer, or perhaps even down towards Pueblo or Canon City. However, there are some nice places in western Colorado, like Grand Junction. Bear in mind I have never lived there (my brother, uncle, and grandparents have) but have been there at least a dozen times and always wanted to live there.

I lived in Littleton CO for 14 years. If I ever moved back (and had any choice on where to live), I would pick the western side. Lake City, Silverton, Montrose, Gunnison are all nice areas. But I like motorcycles so there would be plenty of curvy roads to ride
smile.gif

I lived in the Denver area for 4 years, 1997-2001. Gorgeous state. You're right that Denver is crowded; it was too jampacked with humans 6 years ago, and they haven't stopped breeding, so I can only surmise it's a lot worse.

Be prepared to find that Colorado denizens think of air conditioning as Some Newfangled Fad from Back East -- there'll be lots of houses and apartments without central air. And believe me, it gets hot in summer -- 100 deg. F. is not uncommon. I don't care how dry it is, that's hot. Don't let the natives convince you otherwise.

Also, your car will lose some power at altitude -- you lose about 15 or 20% of your horsepower at 5000 feet.

On the other hand, they pave the streets and fix them when they break. Late nights and early mornings are delightfully cool in summer. Bison is a terrific alternative to steak. Restaurants often have coat racks built right into the booths; they know you'll be wearing a coat for part of the year. And it is a much drier cold than, say, New England, or even the minimal chill we see in Louisiana.

If I could find a good-paying job, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Quote:

On the other hand, they pave the streets and fix them when they break.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I wish!!!
laugh.gif

Colorado is getting crowded, real crowded. I agree on moving somewhere in the mountains or on the western slope. Grand Junction would be an awesome place to live.

On I-70 now, it is literally a traffic jam/bumper to bumper stop and go traffic between Denver and Summit County on Sunday afternoons. The traffic in this state is INCREDIBLE.

Quote:

Now why would you want to do a fool thing like that?
crazy.gif
Move the the PNW. Lots of mountains, some still erupting, Markc will defend you, and Pable will hand deliver your Amsol.
grin.gif
What more could you want??
fruit.gif
coffee.gif

Noooooo! It suuuucks here!
Try Idaho instead.

As a Nebraskan I love the fact that Colorado is only a few hours drive away. I love visiting Colorado but I don't want to live there. If I hit the lottery, I might have a condo at a ski resort or a fancy hunting lodge. Wifey and I mostly go there for shopping.

Quote:

Quote:

On the other hand, they pave the streets and fix them when they break.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I wish!!!
laugh.gif

Well, they used to! All summer you'd see them like the ant in the old fable of the ant and the lazy grasshopper, blocking off streets to make repairs before winter. Did the state run out of money, like Louisiana did long ago?

Lots of different places in Colorado. Denver smog was as bad as LA when I was there in the early 70s, Aspen was nice in the summer in the late 70s but getting expensive and crowded. Estes Park was also nice in the summer, kind of a Disneyland atmosphere adjacent to beautiful country. The altitude makes for interesting times when camping out, as we got six inches of snow one year on Memorial Day at the Mt Evans preserve. There was real wind north of Denver on the highway, especially in the winter. Eastern Colorado was a nice contrast to the Rockies, like the land had been scraped to make the mountains, but plenty to do though, like belly button cleaning :^)

My in-laws live in eastern Aurora and it seems like a nice place to live. My FIL works on the outskirts of Denver so he doesn't have to deal with downtown traffic.

Move to East Aurora NY (~20mi from Buffalo) where I live. Mountain views, ski resorts right up the road, nice long winters, rust belt, no traffic because everybody moved away! Lots of $12-14/hr jobs! Hehhehe... Nice right? Actually it is pretty nice compared to placed I've been.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back