ATF or PS Fluid for Power Steering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all. I have a 1994 T-Bird and the manual says I can either use Power Steering fluid or Type F ATF in my power steering unit. I've always used Power Steering Fluid (usually Valvoline), but am wondering if there would be any advantage to using the Type F. Any thoughts?

One of the reasons I asked is that on my other vehicle, that only calls for Dexron III for its power steering fluid, the fluid stays fresh-looking and red, while the power steering fluid in my T-Bird (Valvoline SynPower) turns a grayish-black almost instantly, even after I drain and refill. I'm wondering if the ATF somehow lasts longer or keeps the system cleaner. I doubt I would notice any improvement either way.

I don't know why it would do that.I do know we use Maxlife in the P/S in our Ford work trucks and it works great even in this West Tx heat.Of course you could always try the Type F it should be fine and probably cheaper.

Maybe I'll give the Type F a try just for the heck of it. Once I do, I'll be sure to post the results. At the very least, it should be a cheaper alternative for doing a few flushes before returning to the Maxlife PS fluid. Maybe all the system needs is a few flushes in a row.

My 1992 Galant leaks like crazy....and it's not worth replacing the rack.

is there anything cheap that i can use instead of ATF?

I just finished flushing my power steering system with one quart of fresh power steering fluid and two quarts of Castrol Type F. Then, I filled the system with more fresh Type F. I took it for a drive afterwards (about eight miles), and did not notice any difference in performance. The noise level of the power steering unit is virtually silent, just like before. The fluid has remained nice and bright red. We'll see how it looks in a few days. The yellow-clear PS fluid would turn dark almost instantly, so hopefully there will be an improvement in that area.

Quote:

Use what is recommended the seals and hoses have to be tested with approved fluids.

I don't use Type F in Ford power steering systems anymore, preferring instead to use Mercon or Mercon V, and have never had an issue with leaks. Using Mercon seems to have fixed the cold-weather stiffness my 1988 Mustang GT had.

Your manual may be telling you to use the Type F ATF or a specific Motorcraft "power steering" fluid, that is a type F ATF.
My manual ('96 windstar) gives a specification number.
I have Redline Synthetic Power Steering Fluid in mine.
I found the Redline by taking the FORD specification number and doing a Yahoo search on it.
As stated, you should be fine with the Mercon / Mercon V fluid......which Mobil 1 ATF is.....and is readily available.

Either of the ATF fluids that I mention will be great for cold weather, and the synthetic fluid will also give you improved heat tolerance.

Check the owner's manual, or call the dealer to be sure. Also the amsoil site has a build list for vehicles which has all fluid recommedations.

Type-F is ancient. I too use Dex/Merc in those PSF systems. No seal issues either.

If you can't find type-F, various powershift and hydraulic fluids also meet the Type-F/G specs. Just read the label.

For those of you hung up on a spec, Amsoil ART, Redline Racing ATF, and Neo are some synthetic Type-F choices.

A siphon/refill doesn't remove all the old PSF. When switching to a 'clear' PSF, you will always have some of the old ATF in the system. This could be the reason why the new fluid discolors frequently. Practice a more frequent siphon/refill interval and the PSF will stay clean.

Neo, Redline, Royalpurple, Synlube....also make full synthetic PSFs compatible with most PSF systems.

I have used Dexron/Mercon in power steering system that called for Type F for DECADES. It is a superior fluid for poser steering use. I especially like Mobil 1 ATF for that application.

For the record, my manual states:

"Use only power steering fluid that meets Ford's Specification for ESW-M2C33F, such as Ford's Premium Power Steering Fluid, E6AZ-19582-AA or equivalent"

On the Lubricant Specifications page it states:

"Power Steering (Pump Reservoir): Part No. XT-1-QF / Motorcraft Automatic Transmission Fluid - Type F - ESW-M2C33F"

Now, although you may be able to safely run a Dexron or Mercon fluid in this system, it does not say this anywhere in the manual. In fact, my transmission uses Mercon, but it specifically states Type F for the power steering. While at my local car parts store yesterday, I checked the back of the ATF bottles. The Dexron III/Mercon bottles did not have the ESW-M2C33-F specification on the bottle, but the Type F bottle did. They probably work interchangeably, but I feel safer using the specified product. YMMV, though.

That is what my owner's manual states.
The important point is that one should NOT use "power steering fluid" as that is NOT the correct fluid.
The unit needs ATF.
I had to go to a racing supply shop to get the Redline Synthetic Power Steering Fluid, which lists the M2C33F specification.
It also states that it is for use in systems calling for Mercon in the power steering.
I have been running the Redline for about 4 years now and it gives me great cold weather performance.
The Windstar tends to cook the power steering fluid, even with a cooler, so the synthetic gives me that added heat tolerance.

I fully understand your desire to follow the manufactures specifications, and I have NOT seen a TSB yet that says to use anything different than the Type F in my power steering unit.
Although I am guessing that it would be fine, I have not seen word from FORD about that yet.

HOWEVER, if you are out on the road, and feel the need to top off the level, you would want to use the ATF (mercon or Mercon V) over "power steering fluid", should you not be able to find the Type F in a pinch.

FORD has discontinued licensing the Mercon specification, and says to use Mercon V in the former Mercon applications (superceding earlier TSB's that say not to).
For this reason, you will see labeling on ATF similar to what Mobil 1 has, that states "Mercon V" and for use in Mercon applications.

Wiswind, I agree with you. It would appear that the Ford Premium Power Steering fluid is actually just Type F ATF. I've run Valvoline PS fluid for a long time with no problems, so I'm not really worried about any damage, but I have to admit, my spec is not listed on the back of any PS fluid bottle I could find at my local store. There were statements like "Compatible with Ford, Chrysler, and GM vehicles" but that's about it. Like I said, I'm not worried about the previous fluid damaging the system, because it works great, but I feel better knowing the proper fluid is now installed and it is still very clean, bright, and red (just checked it an hour ago). I'll look into that Redline, though, if I experience cold weather problems. I've always had good luck with Castrol products, so we'll see.

My owners manual says to use Mercon, and not MerconV. Can't even buy Mercon at the dealer anymore.
Another says to use 5w30 and not 5w20.
Another manual says to use DexronIII and not DexronVI.
And, another says ATF+3 and not ATF+4.
My car says 7.5k OCIs are OK, but sludge says otherwise. Guess what the dealer puts in and does????

Quoting an owners manual is quoting dated info. Maybe the cheap fluid saved Ford a couple of bucks on the assembly line, but there are plenty of better options.

Owners manuals are good for reading, and then starting the fireplace with.

Just because Type F is an older formula doesn't mean its "cheap" quality-wise. If the owner's manual (and shop manual) calls for Type F, even though Mercon was readily available and used in the transmission of the same car, then I have to defer to the company's specs. Owner's manuals aren't the final authority, and I understand that. I didn't disagree that Dexron or Mercon fluids would work in my system, but if a power steering system is working as it should, one would never know what kind of fluid was in it. My system is working great with Type F. I doubt very much there would be any noticeable difference with another kind of ATF. So if I'm getting optimum performance, and my fluid is "cheaper", I'm satisfied.

Everytime I've gone to price out transmission fluid, Type F is usually the cheapest in the store.

This probably also accounts for the presence of empty bottles of Type F in hoopties that never specified Type F for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back