Oil Filter for Hydraulic Log Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy Y'alls!

I have a log splitter with a filter on the hydraulic system with identifying numbers "056 115 561G".

Any suggestions for a suitable replacement?

I Googled that model number and it looks like it is an engine oil filter for a VW Golf III 2.0 GTI.

Would that be appropriate for this application? It is on the return side of the hydraulic system just before the tank. I'm open to other suggestions - even to replacing the filter head if necessary to fit an appropriate filter or to fit one that might be more readily available.

Thanks for your help!

Here is some additional information:

OEM NO. 056 115 561G

OST NO. SL 1011
Thread 3/4-16
OD*Length 76×120
Gasket 62×72
OTHER NO. 1109-C1 030 115 561 D 037 115 561B
W 719/5 15208-V4000 ZZM1-23-802 A
Application AUDI Cabriolet(8G7,B4) 2.3 E
VW Golf III 2.0 GTI
LINDE H10-Serie 12/15

It's a 3/4-16 thread filter. It's used on Porsche or VW ..which ..although they may share the same OEM number ..get different numbers puked out of Wix ..a 51342 for Porsche and a 51088 for VW
confused.gif

But you should be able to use any 3/4-16 filter that you desire.

You're describing a "zero pressure return" filter. You should be able to use as fine a filter as you please. EaO, M1, PureOne, MC, whatever.

Any pre-modular Ford filter will work. This is the most popular thread gasket combination ever.

EaO15
M1301
Wix 51515
PL30001 Purolator
FL1A MotorCraft
ST8 Supertech
AATG8 (Advance Auto Total Grip)

Larger and smaller diameters and longer and shorter lengths available.
grin.gif
You've got it all
grin.gif

*Puts thinking cap on...backwards*

I see that the Wix 51515 has a maximum flow rate of 7-9 GPM. Because it has a 16 GPM pump it probably should have a filter that more closely matches or exceeds that... Any suggestions, as the Wix filter look-up doesn't let you select by flow rate (as far as I could tell).

Also, what is the difference between a filter listed as "oil filter" versus one listed as "hydraulic filter"?

Thanks again!

Quote:

I see that the Wix 51515 has a maximum flow rate of 7-9 GPM.

So does the Porsche and VW filters that the OEM number xref's to
dunno.gif

All these filters have a bypass valve ..so there should be no "worries" about breaching the media.

The common hydraulic filters are rated for 16 gallons ..but you'll be getting a different mount and the availability will be more limited.

Part Number: 51551
UPC Number: 765809515512
Principal Application: Various Hydraulic Applications (10 Micron)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Hydraulic Filter
Service: Hydraulic
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.209
Outer Diameter Top: 3.663
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1-12
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 2/20=5/13
Burst Pressure-PSI: 380
Max Flow Rate: 12-16 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 10

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.729 2.415 0.255

If that's the way you want to go, the hit up northerntool and search "hydraulic filter". They're cheap, have 3/4 NPT ports and a built in 25lb bypass valve. There is a passenger car xref for this thread/gasket too. It too sports a higher flow rate and may be easier to find in the auto parts chains. It has its own bypass and ADBV.

Part Number: 51228
UPC Number: 765809512283
Principal Application: Various Jaguar Models (97-05), Ford Thunderbird (02-03), Lincoln LS (00-02)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.685
Outer Diameter Top: 3.150
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1-12
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 16
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 12-15

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.800 2.441 0.240

On your current mount, do you have pressure taps that will allow you to fit a gauge? If so, I'd get a cheap (salvage, off of ebay - there are plenty) 0-30 psi gauge and mount it upstream of the filter. That will tell you if you're at the PSID required to open the bypass valve.

Now this is opinion ..that is I don't "know" ..but my take is that hydraulic filters tend to be finer than their like sized automotive counterparts. They probably have the same holding capacity, but are typically employed in a cleaner environment that doesn't have to cope with the routine introduction of combustion byproducts. I can't resolve the flow rating difference beyond the difference between the "reasoned" matter of a hydraulic fluid being a 10 or maybe a low 20 weight. Even 10W motor oil isn't considered a 20 weight since it's doesn't have a HTHS of 2.6 (IIRC) even though it's in the 20 weight range
dunno.gif

I have a direct cross for that OEM number. It is a Volswagon number and is the spin-on used on a lot of Volkswagon applications. I don't exactly what brand you want but you can cross these numbers if you need to:
Mobil 1- M1-205
STP- S2870A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back