Originally Posted By: AVB
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Ha! The problem is that you live in Lansing. We too (Lansing, Michigan) had variable results last winter with bio-fuel. Some companies had huge winter problems (trash haulers) while the guy down the street had none.

I've read that problems with the bio component, ultra low sulfer chemistry, and correct additive package are to blame.

Storing bio in an old gunked up regular diesel tank also loosens all the crud up...change them filters often.

I worked at the motor pool on a USMC installation for over 6 years. Biodesel was a mandate for us. I have never seen a fuel tank get gunked up by real diesel fuel. I have seen the build up that results from using biodiesel, we were contantly having to rebuild injector pumps and have tanks cleaned out. The more a truck was used the less problems we would have, but I have know idea where the idea that biodiesel cleans and breaks up old fuel system gunk from diesel. The gunk that biodiesel leaves behind is almost like tar. The only thing I have seen easily remove that stuff is canned carb cleaner. We have had trucks that have never had real diesel run in them have the same problems. So it is not biodiesel cleaning out the regular diesel gunk. It is biodiesel turning into gunk.

I know I am a little behind on quoting this, by like 18 months, but I could not agree more!! I am glad to see someone with real world knowledge finally step up and say something. I have always wondered where people think all of this gunk comes from. Extremely odd to me, but let them think it I guess.

97 F-350 CC, 7.3L PSD, 6637 CAI, E4OD, Rotella Dino 15w-40, Donaldson ELF7405 Filter, 3" DP, 4" Exhaust

2011 34' Sundance TT