The car:



The engine:



The current odometer as of 1/8/2013:



Miles on car 275,880 at UOA, miles on oil 24,988 miles

Total oil used was 8 quarts of Neo 0w5 Racing synthetic. One VW full flow filter and a new Amsoil BE-90 were used. I used 8oz of 2T oil in the tank per fill up, usually Phillips 66 or Mark III castor oil. I also added 8 oz of ZMAX twice to the fuel at 10k interval.

All UOAs and VOA were done by Polaris lab. They ran the UOA twice due to the high lead and fuel numbers.

.....................UOA.....VOA
Iron................31.........1
Chromium.........0..........0
Nickle..............0..........0
Aluminum.........6..........1
Copper.............4.........1
Lead...............103.......89
Tin.................0..........0
Silicon.............4..........6
Sodium............2..........7
Potasium...........2........0
Molybdenum......59........1
Antimony..........0.........1
Manganese........0.........0
Boron..............33........73
Magnesium.......238.......232
Calcium...........2583......2224
Phosphorus.......1222......1008
Zinc............ ..1225......1027

Fuel.............. 5.5%...........0.0%
Soot............. 0.1%...........0.0%
Water (IR)...... < 0.1..........< 0.1%
VIS @ 100C ..... 8.2 cSt......7.4
TBN.............. 5.43...........8.03
IR Oxidation.... 39.............29
IR Nitration...... 9.............10

The high fuel contamination is probably due to the 4k miles this summer when both of my radiator fans went out and the engine overheated on several occasions. I have seen this before when the AIS malfunctioned and the ECU was trying to compensate by dumping extra fuel to keep the engine running.

There is no Moly in the VOA so the 59 of moly is from the previous run of Red Line 5w20 (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2490587#Post2490587). Apparently, there is a 10.4% of residual oil from the Red Line OCI (58/557 = 0.104129). If you subtract 10.4% of the previous UOA from the current UOA then it would more realistically approximate the performance of the NEO 0w5. Therefore, the numbers below are what should be if I was to run the NEO from the beginning and they do track well with the VOA.

...................-10.4% .....VOA
Iron................27.........1
Aluminum.........5..........1
Copper............4..........1
Lead...............101.......89
Silicon.............4..........6
Sodium............2..........7
Potasium..........2.........0
Boron..............30........73
Magnesium.......235.......232
Calcium...........2309......2224
Phosphorus.......1099......1008
Zinc............ ..1092......1027

The Lead number is about the same as the last OCI so I donít think it was the ZMAX additives in the oil. My experiment with this vehicle is now completed. Barring any mechanical problem I will continue to run the NEO 0w5 until the car is either wreck or stolen. My mileage went from annual average of 44mpg (48 max) when new to 57mpg (62 max) now with all the mods and the low viscosity oil. One thing I might do when I change the timing belt is to switch the tranny fluid from Red Line MTL to ELF HTX740.