Chevron Lubricants Q&A

click here to participate in the Chevron Lubricants Q&A

Recent Topics
Date Code Wanted For New Purolator Oil Filter..
by crazyoildude
30 minutes 43 seconds ago
Scraping noise after replacing rear hub assemblies
by JRed
Today at 10:15 PM
Pressure Viscosity Coefficient and HTHS
by Shannow
Today at 09:59 PM
Shell presentation on oil, economy, and future.
by Shannow
Today at 09:34 PM
Replaced OEM filter with K&N for better efficiency
by DoubleWasp
Today at 09:33 PM
Need help with PowerBook WiFi Setup
by Merkava_4
Today at 09:31 PM
Any Reason To Change Brands?
by Finz
Today at 09:03 PM
Another fun Purolator thread with pic!
by 901Memphis
Today at 08:58 PM
V0-33, 2014 Focus 6,009 (CUT OPEN)
by car51
Today at 08:30 PM
Snake Oil ?
by lawnguy
Today at 08:09 PM
Menards - QSUD - $2.99 / Quart after rebate
by jimboeau
Today at 07:34 PM
How about a Truck/Modified/muscl
e car section?

by ls1mike
Today at 06:57 PM
Newest Members
rutherford, kiernan, chas8754, apeevey, zeb
53725 Registered Users
Who's Online
64 registered (barkingspider, aquariuscsm, 29662, Bandito440, 00Max00, 01rangerxl, 3 invisible), 1098 Guests and 158 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
53725 Members
66 Forums
230330 Topics
3686924 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Motorcycles and Motorcycle Lubrication
Jump to new posts Re: Gear Oil or Motor Oil Sportster questions..... by alarmguy @ 04/20/15 09:36 AM

[/quote] Could it be they actually found products that work better? Like a transmission oil that doesn't make the transmission sound like there's no oil in it? Or primary oil that doesn't make the clutch plates grabby, that causes that pleasant BANG
Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs
Jump to new posts Re: Thinner oils and higher wear by fourside @ 04/20/15 09:35 AM

If you read the rest, it also says that GF-6B will have the same durability requirements as GF-6A. Durability challenges does not mean "these oils don't protect engines." It means that formulating them presents challenges.
Jump to new posts Re: Gear Oil or Motor Oil Sportster questions..... by kmrcstintn @ 04/20/15 09:33 AM

my first motorcycle was a 2008 buell blast which has 2 sumps like the sportster; my first service I had a dealer use H-D Syn 3 in both sumps; if I had kept it my plan was to use Mobil 1 20w-50 motorcycle oil or 15w-50 pcmo in the primary/transmission
Mechanical /Maintenance Forum
Most OBDII voltage monitoring is from the ECU regulated value I think. Not the battery voltage.
Jump to new posts Re: well designed engine for oil change by DemoFly @ 04/20/15 09:29 AM

The best engine I have done so far has been my dads 1st generation Saturn VUE with the 2.2L ecotec. I put a fumoto on it, so I can reach in the wheel well in front of the passenger side tire and flip the valve. No ramps or jack required. Then the c
Jump to new posts Re: 4.6 Cougar fuel economy by MNgopher @ 04/20/15 09:28 AM

I had two F150s with the 4.6. A 97 4x2 and a 99 4x4. The 97 averaged 17.5 mpg, and would turn in over 20 mpg pretty easily on the highway. It had 3.08 gears. The '99 averaged 15.5 mpg, and could not hit 20 mpg to save its life. Exact same truc
General and Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: NEW Home CentraL AC quote really Pricey! by DBMaster @ 04/20/15 09:28 AM

Units manufactured before the end of last year are grandfathered and if other mfg's did like my employer did there are tons of them out there still available in 13 SEER, if that is your preference.
Jump to new posts Re: Gear Oil or Motor Oil Sportster questions..... by alarmguy @ 04/20/15 09:25 AM

" Some call for gear oil...some call for motor oil. Many modern car & truck transmissions have called for ATF since the 80's." Im just relying to your reply to me but at the bottom you summed it up (so will keep it short) ... Exactly,
Automotive General Topics
Jump to new posts Re: Why so many replaced/bad 2.2 Ecotechs? by Bob5150 @ 04/20/15 09:25 AM

We have a 2010 Cobalt with the 2.2/auto. No engine or drivetrain problems to this point. Currently at 38800 miles.
Jump to new posts Re: Film paint protector by The Critic @ 04/20/15 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By: SchmoeI had the whole front of my 06 covered with film. Did great for about 6 years, now it's cracking badly. Getting the bugs off it was a PITA also. But, it did do it's job and it ain't cheap. Sounds about right. The film
European and Import Motor Oils
2.5's have a tendency to burn oil later on in life. T6 is a little on the thick side so it seems like it's helping your consumption issue. I ran T6 when I was in a hotter climate (also used it to clean the previous owners 10K oci crud) but switched t
Jump to new posts Re: DIY oil change...save $; find gas leak...spend $ by kmrcstintn @ 04/20/15 09:23 AM

Originally Posted By: JarlaxleWait...a 2006 Shadow uses tube tires?! yeah...the traditional spoke wheels require tubes inside the tires
Jump to new posts Re: 150,000 miles change Timing Belt/Water Pump by The Critic @ 04/20/15 09:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Schmoe I just paid 640 to have mine replaced on the 06....had 91K miles on it, but it was the original since 06 and was making me a little nervous. From what my mechanic guy told me, if you use NAPA parts, they guarantee that
Jump to new posts Re: 98' CR-V 235K mi. Replace coil springs? by IndyIan @ 04/20/15 09:21 AM

If the springs look good with no significant rust, I'd probably leave them on. The original ones were matched to the equipment in the car and for ride height.
Jump to new posts Re: 150,000 miles change Timing Belt/Water Pump by Schmoe @ 04/20/15 09:21 AM

I just paid 640 to have mine replaced on the 06....had 91K miles on it, but it was the original since 06 and was making me a little nervous. From what my mechanic guy told me, if you use NAPA parts, they guarantee that the part won't fail. If it
Jump to new posts Re: Running M1 0w-40 in a vehicle spec'd for 0w-20 by Brigadier @ 04/20/15 09:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4The question is: Will 0W-40 fit into the bearing clearances? If not, your engine is gonna lock up! Not that's funny right there. I don't care who you are.
Jump to new posts Re: well designed engine for oil change by The Critic @ 04/20/15 09:18 AM

The easiest one that I have done was on a 2002 Acura RSX.
Jump to new posts Re: Dealership offered synthetic oil changes by Whimsey @ 04/20/15 09:18 AM

That is a great deal if you use all 10 oil change services. They are probably banking on most customers not using all 10 due to various reasons. It's probably 75,000-100,000 miles worth of oil changes by using the OLM. But even if you only use it 5 t
Jump to new posts Re: Dealerships are terrible by css9450 @ 04/20/15 09:17 AM

[quote=grampi][/quote] Your favorite car is a Corolla, if I remember right. Does it cost as much as a house? I suppose you could cherry-pick some dump in East Cleveland that's less, but those are hardly typical.
Jump to new posts Re: Thinner oils and higher wear by Brigadier @ 04/20/15 09:17 AM

Here is the rub: Quote:Formally labeled as SAE 16, the new oil specification will help OEMs meet increasingly strict corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) requirements. However, ultra-low viscosity grade oils can create durability challenges.
Jump to new posts Re: Film paint protector by Schmoe @ 04/20/15 09:16 AM

I had the whole front of my 06 covered with film. Did great for about 6 years, now it's cracking badly. Getting the bugs off it was a PITA also. But, it did do it's job and it ain't cheap.
Jump to new posts Re: AC Recharge Oil by willbur @ 04/20/15 09:13 AM

Funny you should say that, Superdan. It's a Toyota Matrix and needs periodic AC recharge. My previous GM cars gave me problems, but not from the AC! When I lived in Houston, you found out quick which company made the coldest and most durable AC, and
Jump to new posts Re: 98' CR-V 235K mi. Replace coil springs? by sparky123 @ 04/20/15 09:11 AM

Thanks for the reply! If I do decide to go for new coil springs, is one brand better than the others? Moog's run about $100 for the front/rears. Do they really have the same quality as the OEM coil spring? Thanks again...
Jump to new posts Re: Gear Oil or Motor Oil Sportster questions..... by alarmguy @ 04/20/15 09:10 AM

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevereAlarmguy is full opinions but he has no personal facts to back them up. He says to use what Harley recommends for transmissions. Well from what the experts say Formuls + is nothing but gear oil. It smells ju
Jump to new posts Re: Gear Oil or Motor Oil Sportster questions..... by BigCahuna @ 04/20/15 09:10 AM

Originally Posted By: alarmguyOriginally Posted By: rossn2Quote:The motor companies know your bike best, not people in these forums. The oil companies know second best and two of the most used in these forums also recommend motor oil in your motorcyc
Page 232 of 287 < 1 2 ... 230 231 232 233 234 ... 286 287 >