Yet another "keep or drop" advise request

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hard Data:
-1998 Pontiac Transsport 3.4l engine.
-OCI 17 March-05 Mobil Delvac1 5w40 and M1 0w30 for top-up @ 115244km.
-Mileage now at 120600 km or +/-5400km (3355miles)in almost 7 months.
-oil comsumption is less that 500ml.
-driving is 75% city and 25% HWay

At this time of year I am thinking of the winter OCI(usulaly in late Nov). For the first time on the minivan's OCI rituals, I am considering a 1 year OCI mostly due to the low mileage.

Yes, I know a UOA would give me the straight answer, but....

Your advise is appreciated.
Jean

[ October 03, 2005, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: 2K2AcuraTL ]

No... keeping the van for now... its the oil...
Thanks
I needed the chuckle...
lol.gif

J

I agree with gv.

But if it means losing sleep, change. The choice is yours, because of lack o' data. Or inbetween it - change oil filter and top the oil.

What was the PO (previous oil)?
So 3K intervals.
What kind of oil filter?

How clean does the engine look down the fill hole?

ok, that makes more sense...the "one more" I remember was whether or not to keep the whole car therefore the response.

I admit I was having a hard time understanding why anyone would want to dump a car in such seemingly good condition!

with the "infamous" intake manifold coolant leaks on the GM 3.4 L. I would change oil frequently!

You're asking whether to keep the vehicle or dump it?

UOA will only tell you about the engine. It won't tell you squat about the suspension, brakes, transmission, body rust, etc all of which are more likely to go before the engine. In most cars at least, I don't know the properties of that 3.4L.

It is the reality that engines are rarely the financial coup de grace on modern cars, transmissions own that distinction.

Consider newer car payments, are you spending that much on maintenance now? probably not so the simplistic answer is to keep it. $500/month buys a lot of maintenance. Of course, maintenance carries inconvenience and lost time, so the simplistic answer is never perfect. But you get my drift.

add to the mix: insurance: if you finance the new car you will have to carry more costly coverage than if it is a paid-off car.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I agree with gv.

But if it means losing sleep, change. The choice is yours, because of lack o' data. Or inbetween it - change oil filter and top the oil.

What was the PO (previous oil)?
So 3K intervals.
What kind of oil filter?

How clean does the engine look down the fill hole?

The previous oil was GC, before that was Swepco 306 5w30 (which I didnt like) and before that was......it has been all synth since I owned the van, Groupe III+ oils.

The oil filtre is an oversized K&N.

Looks clean and shinny in the fill hole and the oil has a dark ambre colour.
J

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
with the "infamous" intake manifold coolant leaks on the GM 3.4 L. I would change oil frequently!

I had the intake and head gaskets (done under warranty) on 03-03-04 @ 100833 km.
There has no sigh of leakage ie: white foam under the oil fill cap or drop in level in the coolant resevoir since.
J

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
ok, that makes more sense...the "one more" I remember was whether or not to keep the whole car therefore the response.

I admit I was having a hard time understanding why anyone would want to dump a car in such seemingly good condition!

Hey no problem... the -yet another- is in regards to -another silly question.... -
gr_stretch.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 2K2AcuraTL:

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:

I had the intake and head gaskets (done under warranty) on 03-03-04 @ 100833 km.
There has no sigh of leakage ie: white foam under the oil fill cap or drop in level in the coolant resevoir since.
J

You should run a UOA in my opinion to verify a proper fix before going with OCI. Also 40 weight is absolutely not needed on that engine.

Why are you running a heavy 5w40 in Canada? Just wondering? These engines seem to like 5W30 just fine.

I used a 40wt oil for 2 reasons (rightly or wrongly);
1- it does get fairly hot here during the summer and this summer was a scoarcher.....
2- I found that a slightly thicker oil, as in the D1 or the GC, it really made a difference in the piston slap on this infamous GM 3.4l engine.

J

quote:

Originally posted by 2K2AcuraTL:
I used a 40wt oil for 2 reasons (rightly or wrongly);
1- it does get fairly hot here during the summer and this summer was a scoarcher.....
2- I found that a slightly thicker oil, as in the D1 or the GC, it really made a difference in the piston slap on this infamous GM 3.4l engine.

J

A 5/10W30 oil is more than capable of handling the climate in Canada. The 40W may actually run hotter because it doesn't dissipate heat as well.

My understanding of the piston slap and startup valve train noise is that it doesn't cause any more wear, it is just annoying.

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:
My understanding of the piston slap and startup valve train noise is that it doesn't cause any more wear, it is just annoying.

That is true. Especially if it goes away in less than 2 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back