Would you buy/use power station ash ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Boomer
As someone who spent years in a building products company, I knowthat we looked at some of these ash residues and found them in some cases to be radioactive enough that we decided not to use them. We used Perlite for its whiteness and low density but were looking fo a less expensive filler in some items.

Roger on the glow in the dark factor.

Actually Concrete sequestration is one way to get rid of radioactive isotopes. Although I don't want it in my home/workplace. I'm pretty sure that in piers and Beams under the foundation, or in the foundation itself, it wouldn't be a factor. As it is coated and smoothed out in other layers of sealant/epoxy before other layers of tile or carpet are put on it.

Good to know it is looked into.
Lots of low level radioactive stuff floating around that nobody asks any questions about.

Food for thought guys, will have to look into it further. Anything that was in the coal at ppm traces, would be 3-6 times more concentrated in the ash.

Sorry, yeah, you are right...

obviously the combustibles are gone, and many of the lighter elements, sulfur, mercury, sodium etc are largeley burned out...it's the metallic oxides that are concentrated.

I once heard an anecdote about somehwere in africa... the contractor was cutting the cement powder with flyash (they look similar). by the time they got halfway up the cooling tower things started going badly...

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Boomer
As someone who spent years in a building products company, I knowthat we looked at some of these ash residues and found them in some cases to be radioactive enough that we decided not to use them. We used Perlite for its whiteness and low density but were looking fo a less expensive filler in some items.

Roger on the glow in the dark factor.

Actually Concrete sequestration is one way to get rid of radioactive isotopes. Although I don't want it in my home/workplace. I'm pretty sure that in piers and Beams under the foundation, or in the foundation itself, it wouldn't be a factor. As it is coated and smoothed out in other layers of sealant/epoxy before other layers of tile or carpet are put on it.

Good to know it is looked into.
Lots of low level radioactive stuff floating around that nobody asks any questions about.

Better sequester the garden soil too...

http://www.acarp.com.au/Downloads/ACARPTraceElementsinCoalNewsletterOct06.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back