Would auto rx be effective in this application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.Friend of mine has a 96 integra. the head is very clean, no varnish at all. The engine consumes about 1 quart every 5k miles. Would auto rx stop or decrease the oil consumption here?

2.his engine currently has no leaks and i'm afraid that the auto rx might clean up gunk around the gasket and cause leaks....unless autorx swells seals?

3. Also, hes been running high mileage synthetic, would he okay going back to that after the treatment?

It can't hurt, it has done good things on my engine. It has also done nothing on other engines. But they did not really have problems either. Won't make the leaks worse. If the rings are sticking it should help with oil consumption.

Nope.

Used Auto-RX in my Saturn and it did not make a difference at all. If anything, I recall a slight increase in oil consumption after using it.

Strangely, I used Amsoil Engine Flush and after 1k, the oil is fairly clean. Usually, it is very dark and dirty by now. However, oil consumption has skyrocketed ever since the Amsoil Engine Flush was used.

maybe its clean because your topping off frequently ? oh well, does you friend rev his motor high ? if so thats probably where the oil is being consumed when it switch over to high cam.

even newer honda consume that amount of oil and its absolutely normal.

it doesn't need to be topped off. it sees redline maybe once a month, other than that, its driven easily under 3k shifts. however, the engine sees 3500-3800rpms constantly due to highway driving.

i would think auto rx would be useless in this application, i just think the oil control rings are slightly worn

Worn parts can't be fixed by adding anything to the oil. In certain instances using a thinner grade oil might help. Shell did a study and discussed this and the reasons for it. Dr. Haas recently mentioned this study. I'd experiment with thicker and thinner grade oils and see what happens. JMO

Schaeffers Moly 132. A quality additive that is a bit thick, but always seems to reduce oil consumption considerably in every high mileage engine we have put it in.

High revving Honda's do not cause oil usage... high cam or VTEC which has a actuated cam by mechanical/centrifugal force which seems to be labeled the poor mans turbo, some finicky mechanical trick , I have read/heard so many terms used for VTEC motors, and the rumors that go with them. I have ran 4 Honda engines now all with VTEC none of them ever used any amount of oil between changes, one being a 97 with over 260k on it which was driven ~100 a day round trip interstate at the end of it's life.. and yes I revved the snot out of it, it hit redline at least once a day to say the least.

How many miles on this car?

What weight oil is he using now?

1 Qt every 5,000 is not bad.

1. It might decrease oil consumption if it is a sticky ring issue.

2. It might cause a leak if a damaged seal is cleaned up. But most likely it would not.

3. You can swap back and forth between Dino and Syn oil.

A slightly heavier oil might slow consumption.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Worn parts can't be fixed by adding anything to the oil. JMO

That depends how you define fixed.

Some of those ceramic metal treatments have had some impressive results. Johny B says he got 1.1 mm of wear filled back in from RVS brand of ceramic metal treatment. I had my oil consumption go down from 1 quart every 200 miles to 1 quart every 1000 miles, and I'm going to do a second treatment soon. Fixed, or ? It kept me form getting a new engine works for me. I here CerMet works good also

From what I've read, and from talking with two different suppliers of Ceramic nano particles to compaines that manufacture different finished products with them. It was not a good choice for an oil additive. It finds its way into the combustion chamber and fouls plugs, from testing that they did. The stated moly was a better oil additive which is why you hear so much about moly.

They also stated the ceramic adds couldn't replace worn metal. This came directly from the makers of the ceramic nano particles. if the product is working for you great. I'm just passing along what was told to me from two very reliable sources. Take it FWIW.

No disrespect intended but jonny-b was clearly here with an agenda. He attacked and insulted anyone that questioned him, and had little or no respect as a result of it.

A 14-15 years old car consumes only 1 quart every 5k miles is not bad at all. All he needs to do is top off with 1/2 quarts dino at 3k miles then change oil at 5-6k miles with dino.

Even for a brand new car, every manufacturer considers 1Qt per 1000 mile *normal* consumption. Keep on doing whatever you have been doing. Unless you reach the point of "I have nothing to lose", do not try restore/cermet/flushes etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
From what I've read, and from talking with two different suppliers of Ceramic nano particles to compaines that manufacture different finished products with them. It was not a good choice for an oil additive. It finds its way into the combustion chamber and fouls plugs, from testing that they did. The stated moly was a better oil additive which is why you hear so much about moly.

They also stated the ceramic adds couldn't replace worn metal. This came directly from the makers of the ceramic nano particles. if the product is working for you great. I'm just passing along what was told to me from two very reliable sources. Take it FWIW.

No disrespect intended but jonny-b was clearly here with an agenda. He attacked and insulted anyone that questioned him, and had little or no respect as a result of it.

Your second hand "reliable source" does not seem too reliable to me. I would not say anything but you have repeated this a couple of times now.

I have heard from six or seven few folks who have used the the RVS and two who used CerMet. None have them mentioned anything about fouling spark plugs. In fact when i searched that on Google, I could not find one single instant of cermet or RVS or Fusion tech, Fouling a spark plug. I did find where someone mixed Xado in their 2 stroke fuel and yes that foul his plug, Duh. The treatment time is only 2000 miles and you dont add it to every oil change so i dont think the spark plug fouling can even possible be an issue after your 1st Oil change. If your friend test a different product you can search that one and give a link.

If these products dont deposit material, maybe you can explain how it worked on my GMC?
I really cant see any other explanation as to how my fouling plug plug went 400 to 500% longer during and after treatment. It seems to me that it works as they described. Also could you explain my oil consumption going down at the same time, about 200% from 200 mile to 600 miles and that was 1 treatment. (RVS recommended 3 treatments).

Sorry to get off subject a little, but these type products do appear be be able to help guys who have excessive oil consumption issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back