Worst cities for vehicle paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an old Car and Driver in the back of a closet from 1993. In the "news" section they had a blurb from Meguiars, who had determined the 5 "worst" cities for vehicle paint in the USA. The criteria were air pollution, temperature and moisture changes, and ozone layers.

#5 Boston, MA
#4 Wilmington, DE
#3 Dover, DE
#2 Providence, RI
#1 Hartford, CT

Not sure of the applicability 19 years later, but it was fun to read through the magazine again many years later.

I'm confused why places like Phoenix and Orlando aren't on there. Every other car in those cities has an oxidized hood and roof.

I'd be more worried about other drivers and congestion than air quality. I can most always find a place to park with no chance of getting door dings etc.

I didn't know smog and such will ruin your paint. I guess its just another thing my isolation out here contributes too.

I don't know why I wrote "ozone layers", force of habit? Although I don't ever discuss the ozone layer on a computer, so who knows.

It should read "ozone".

My car spends a lot of time in airport parking garages - in south Florida, that seems to be a bad place.

It would be interesting to see if there is any statistical data to back up the 1993 theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back