With oil so advanced now, can freshly built engines be broken in with synthetic?

No, "first start" oil is a thing. I doubt they are using a standard oil filter either. Probably a fitting that goes to the test stand oil system

Try this line of thinking:
First start sheds a lot of junk. A lot. Modern engine or not. Think about a small modern filter dealing with that, and a 10K (or more) initial OCI.

Does that make sense?

So you're saying engines are filled with a special oil, fired up and ran, then that "first start-up" oil is drained and another oil is installed? Haven't heard this before - got any links to more info about this? Where did this claim come from?
I have seen factory tour videos where new engines are spun up and tested without firing - not sure if this is done with commodity class powerplants.

Below is an older GM video - spin test at 6min 37sec in.

I have seen factory tour videos where new engines are spun up and tested without firing - not sure if this is done with commodity class powerplants.

Below is an older GM video - spin test at 6min 37sec in.

Doing a non-fired spin-up like that is the way it's done these days. There is no need to actually fire the engine with fuel in order to check the overall health of the mechanical systems. The first time the engine is actually fired up with fuel is after it's installed into the car, and the car is ran on a chassis dyno. No oil and filter change is required after the initial engine start-up because engine production cleanliness is controlled and done with cleaned components. And the machining processes are very good as discussed in that video. so break-in doesn't take lone once the engine is ran.

With all the different OEM's on the planet, it's silly to make broad assumptions regarding what's done in the different assembly plants.
Yes, you would need specifics as to Mfg plant and vehicle/engine combo. Premium marques and sporting engines likely get special treatment not afforded to the bread and butter for the masses.

Here is a "commodity" Hyundai engine assy video in the U.S. Starts a 4min 35sec, engine cold spin up seen at 5min 26sec.
Glimpse of MQC at 5min 09sec and sample check with large touch probe CMM.

Funny part was the oil filter installation with an air ratchet (yes I am sure it is appropriately torque or deg. rotation limited) it just made me chuckle.

Last edited:
Back