Wisconsin man, 92, seen crashing into 9 parked car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
eljefino said:
I agree, every ten years and when you reach a certain age every 5 years.

Well you can't (and shouldn't) discriminate against an old person. Even if you could the politicians would not never craft an illegal law to do it. If you test old people every so many number of years you must do it for the whole driver population...unless... there is a known medical, mental, or physical problem with that individual. The States..all reeling from pension debt, can't aford it.

The last time my aunt had to renew her license she went to DVM to take the eye test, and then complain about the price they wanted for the renewal. She was 87 or 88 at the time, and was complaining that the license was good for 8 years. She wanted 3 years at a reduced rate. LOL. No cigar! She was afraid she wouldn't live the 8 years to get her money's worth. The idea of someone in their mid to late 80's being allowed to drive another 8 years by passing a simple eye test is ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: Al
eljefino said:
I agree, every ten years and when you reach a certain age every 5 years.

Well you can't (and shouldn't) discriminate against an old person. Even if you could the politicians would not never craft an illegal law to do it. If you test old people every so many number of years you must do it for the whole driver population...unless... there is a known medical, mental, or physical problem with that individual. The States..all reeling from pension debt, can't aford it.

I have no problem with that either, make it every 5 years across the board then. Charge a fee for it, so the state can generate an additional income from it.

The states are hard up for cash, it will create jobs too. When people hear they'll have to pay up, and take time off for another driving test it will never fly.

Let's be honest, most people over the age of 80 are probably just as hazardous as new drivers who just got their license and think every car they drive is a race car. Licenses are far too easy to get, and keep for that matter. And while the only people who disagree are the people that are terrible drivers themselves, we all know it's never going to change.

Last edited:
Illinois driver license info

21 to 80 years old: 4 years (expires on your birthday).
81 to 86 years old: 2 years.
87 years old and older: must renew every year.
Your valid Illinois driver’s license.
Your IL renewal notice.
Payment for the renewal fee. See the “Fees to Renew Your IL Driver’s License” section below.
To take a vision test.
To take a driving test, if you are over 75 years old.
To take a written and/or road test, if you have a traffic incident on your Illinois driving record.
NOTE: You will be required to take a written exam in Illinois every 8 years, unless you have not received a traffic ticket.

18 to 20 years old: $5.
21 to 68 years old: $30.
69 to 80 years old: $5.
81 to 86 years old: $2.
87 years old and older: Free.
Class M (motorcycle license): $5.
Upgrade to Class M (motorcycle license): $10.
NOTE

Depending on your age, your IL driver’s license will be valid for different lengths of time:

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Illinois driver license info

Your valid Illinois driver’s license.
Your IL renewal notice.
Payment for the renewal fee. See the “Fees to Renew Your IL Driver’s License” section below.
To take a vision test.
To take a driving test, if you are over 75 years old.
To take a written and/or road test, if you have a traffic incident on your Illinois driving record.
NOTE: You will be required to take a written exam in Illinois every 8 years, unless you have not received a traffic ticket.

18 to 20 years old: $5.
21 to 68 years old: $30.
69 to 80 years old: $5.
81 to 86 years old: $2.
87 years old and older: Free.
Class M (motorcycle license): $5.
Upgrade to Class M (motorcycle license): $10.
NOTE

Depending on your age, your IL driver’s license will be valid for different lengths of time:

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Last time I was at the DMV, there was an old guy that couldn't walk, trying on 5 different pairs of glasses while taking the vision test. He seemed like the type that would drive through the front of the building on his way out.

The last time my aunt had to renew her license she went to DVM to take the eye test, and then complain about the price they wanted for the renewal. She was 87 or 88 at the time, and was complaining that the license was good for 8 years. She wanted 3 years at a reduced rate. LOL. No cigar! She was afraid she wouldn't live the 8 years to get her money's worth.

Does she buy her butter one stick at a time too?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The last time my aunt had to renew her license she went to DVM to take the eye test, and then complain about the price they wanted for the renewal. She was 87 or 88 at the time, and was complaining that the license was good for 8 years. She wanted 3 years at a reduced rate. LOL. No cigar! She was afraid she wouldn't live the 8 years to get her money's worth.

Does she buy her butter one stick at a time too?
wink.gif

Good question, next time I see her I'll ask. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if she does. We just celebrated her 91st birthday and she's still driving. God Bless her, she's as sharp as a tack and in great shape.

If you are 92,chances are you are seeing a doctor fairlry regularly. A doctor is obligated to notify the DMV when any person, idependent of age, is incapable of driving safely, be it due to physical or mental impairment. Frequently the patient is giving the option to lie. though. On many forms to be filled out by the patient, it is clearly stated that answering this or that question with "yes" will result in the doctor informing the DMV of the person being unfit for driving a motor vehicle. One can only hope that a person's relatives and friends are responsible enough to act accordingly when they see their friend or relative operate potentially dangerous vehicles and machinery in an impeded manner. Have a talk with them before you fink.

hotwheels

I have seen elderly people, men and women, who can drive better than a lot of young people. And I have seen elderly people who probably should not be driving anymore. It depends on the individual.

I know a lot of people who cannot drive stick shift cars. Maybe there should be a requirement on their driving license that they are allowed to drive only automatics. I have seen many people, young and old, who have a hard time parking a car or backing a car up.

And in the wintertime, with icy conditions, I see a lot of people with no common sense, young and old people, thinking they can drive their fancy four wheel drives at 60 mph on black ice. And some who do not even have fancy four wheel drives try to do that. I have seen a know-it-all spin a four wheel drive like a top.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I have seen elderly people, men and women, who can drive better than a lot of young people. And I have seen elderly people who probably should not be driving anymore. It depends on the individual.

I know a lot of people who cannot drive stick shift cars. Maybe there should be a requirement on their driving license that they are allowed to drive only automatics. I have seen many people, young and old, who have a hard time parking a car or backing a car up.

And in the wintertime, with icy conditions, I see a lot of people with no common sense, young and old people, thinking they can drive their fancy four wheel drives at 60 mph on black ice. And some who do not even have fancy four wheel drives try to do that. I have seen a know-it-all spin a four wheel drive like a top.

+1

Personally, I learned to not generalize about elderly drivers due to a few experiences I had that showed me that the physical act of driving was not necessarily the problem. At 85 years old, my dad could parallel park a car at the equivalent of 15 mph with no problems. He stopped driving because he couldn't pass the written test as there were too many things that confused him with the way they were written. Even given to him orally, it was still a problem and as he didn't need to drive, he felt it might be a good time to hang it up. He could drive in rush hour traffic with no problem as the confusion for him didn't lie in the mechanics of driving and his reflexes and abilities were pretty much the same as when he was 65. In my experience, there are a lot more older drivers that know their limitations and stop driving than ones that insist on driving when they're no longer capable... independent of any state-mandated tests.

My Dad is 86, and still drives all over the Midwest. In their state of IA, they have to renew every 2 yrs at the age of 72+.

My dad is 85 and an excellent driver. He would have no problem taking a re-evaluation test if one was offered. We've had this discussion before.

The elderly are the biggest voting block so they can do whatever they want. In FL one puts a Crown Vic threw a store front every so often.

Realistically over 70 they should be retested every 2 years.

Last edited:
The average life expectancy in USA is 77.4 for men. 82.2 for women per wikipedia.

It seems pretty obvious over 75 yrs old need to get a statement from their doctor saying they are able to safely drive. Baby boomers are growing old. These type of accidents will happen more and more. If the medical doctors sign off, I'm all for the 75 plus folks driving.

As far as I know, WI driver's licenses are still valid for 8 years from the renewal date. There's no sliding scale as a driver gets older, for making them renew earlier than 8 years.

Sometimes cops will send a request to DMV for a re-exam based on observed 'poor driving'. They most always fail and sometimes results in a very angry senior citizen. There are plenty of folks driving around with cancelled/suspended licenses and no insurance(big problem)-some are the elderly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back