Wire brushes for Dremel tool that don't come apart

Was cleaning my semi-auto shotgun tonight and noticed some of the bronze brush attachments were coming apart during use.
When I got done I noticed numerous little metal wires all over my shirt.
Do they make higher quality brushes that stay together while the tool head spins?

Even if they make a higher quality brush than what you were using I am sure that the high speeds that a Dremel can hit it with cause them to self-destruct. It may be that the brush you were using is not the problem and that you over reved it. Those tools can really turn some high RPMs and the centrifugal force will do a number on any decent brush.

Even if they make a higher quality brush than what you were using I am sure that the high speeds that a Dremel can hit it with cause them to self-destruct. It may be that the brush you were using is not the problem and that you over reved it. Those tools can really turn some high RPMs and the centrifugal force will do a number on any decent brush.
Yes. After looking at the specs for these brushes, they have a maximum RPM of 4500, so I was definitely above that when they started to break down.

Those wire brushes have a 60 second lifespan it seems. The Dremel accessories are pretty pricey, maybe look up alternatives online,

Those are stainless steel brushes. Great way to destroy a gun. Horrible recommendation.

OP - don’t use a Dremel to clean your gun. Please. Even with brass brushes you are damaging the gun.

Those are stainless steel brushes. Great way to destroy a gun. Horrible recommendation.

OP - don’t use a Dremel to clean your gun. Please. Even with brass brushes you are damaging the gun.
I was just giving an example of more reasonably priced alternatives available online. I wasn't looking for exact duplicates of what he had. If I have to spoon feed everything, maybe this is better,

NEVER for any of guns.

I bought some of these 1/4" stainless steel brush for my drill and also my dremel. If in dremel it's on lowest speed and I only use them for cleaning out threads and stuff for captive nuts like on the cars for cable/wire ground points. Bought for that purpose only. They have not come apart me.

Was cleaning my semi-auto shotgun tonight and noticed some of the bronze brush attachments were coming apart during use.
When I got done I noticed numerous little metal wires all over my shirt.
Do they make higher quality brushes that stay together while the tool head spins?
I see that there is already a tremendous uproar for the "blaphemous" practice of using the dremel tool brush for cleaning. Which is funny.
In my experience Dremel tool brushes are great if used at the proper RPM. I am not sure if a brush can be made that will withstand 12000 rpm without sending some kind of missile at some point.

What portion of the gun were you cleaning?

I used to use a dremel to clean the gas piston head on AK rifles in the past. Now I just use a bit of steel wool of scotch brite pad.

Not sure of all the hoopla about a bronze brush?

Even with brass brushes you are damaging the gun
interested in the origin of this opinion.
Those are stainless steel brushes. Great way to destroy a gun.
Agreed, within over use. I have used stainless (very sparsely) on very stubborn carbon deposits in weird spots. This was of course after a 1500rd day on the pistol range.

I suppose also it depends on the type of gun it is.

interested in the origin of this opinion.

Agreed, within over use. I have used stainless (very sparsely) on very stubborn carbon deposits in weird spots. This was of course after a 1500rd day on the pistol range.

I suppose also it depends on the type of gun it is.
Yeah - I’ve seen more guns destroyed by people with Dremel tools…

Brass brush? OK.

Brass brush spinning at several thousand RPM? No.

Thread is drifting; I'll give it another nudge...

Many years in the Army, I was always amazed how much wear and tear was done to weapons systems in the name of "GI" or Inspection Clean. Systematic and passed down from generation to generation I guess. It actually starts in basic where they have to be absolutely spotless and you get almost no proper tools etc. Just time... Seriously, one of the things I distinctly remember from Ft Benning at the end was being allocated an entire day just to doing laundry and cleaning our rifles. Seriously: 8 hours + of cleaning a rifle. We're talking hot water, shaving cream, pieces of coat hangers pounded flat with a rock... No wonder half of the weapons are down to metal, no coating left

No, civilian world; I'm more focused on regular wipe down / soak

Yeah - I’ve seen more guns destroyed by people with Dremel tools…

Brass brush? OK.

Brass brush spinning at several thousand RPM? No.
I should have added that my stainless brush was not by dremel but by hand. As you put, there is a difference.

Thread is drifting; I'll give it another nudge...

Many years in the Army, I was always amazed how much wear and tear was done to weapons systems in the name of "GI" or Inspection Clean. Systematic and passed down from generation to generation I guess. It actually starts in basic where they have to be absolutely spotless and you get almost no proper tools etc. Just time... Seriously, one of the things I distinctly remember from Ft Benning at the end was being allocated an entire day just to doing laundry and cleaning our rifles. Seriously: 8 hours + of cleaning a rifle. We're talking hot water, shaving cream, pieces of coat hangers pounded flat with a rock... No wonder half of the weapons are down to metal, no coating left

No, civilian world; I'm more focused on regular wipe down / soak
Great point.

Damage indeed, but it does add to the durability of the weapon itself. The AR gets a bad wrap for durability, and some is absolutely valid, but all in all, and great gun, for professionals.

Of course the objective of ORS, (not what you are talking about) is to assess the readiness of the equipment as a whole. Guns need to be clean to check for cracks and deformation. The dangers or a bunch of soldiers cleaning with q tips and brushes is, I suppose less damaging than parts cleaner, and power tools.//// plus in the field, all you have is your kit, no special stuff. Good training, but in the quest for the cleanest gun in the company, damage is done for sure.

The problem with power tools and guns is that they can apply so much more effort than hand tools alone. Guns have finishes, often a few thousands of an inch in thickness. Guns have fine parts, with tight machining tolerances. Removing finishes, and removing metal, can permanently damage a gun.

Get a bit of carbon on a brass brush, and scrub by hand, and it interacts with the surface, perhaps a few dozen times. Same bit of carbon on a Dremel wheel, and it can interact with the surface a few thousand times.

I've seen several pistol barrels ruined by Dremel tools. At the microscopic level, polishing is removing metal, to wear down the high spots. But that can be overdone.

A fine abrasive removes metal at a much slower rate than a coarse abrasive, but they both remove metal. Put that fine abrasive on a Dremel wheel, and it removes metal much faster, even though it is still fine.

Something else to be aware of is that I've seen inexpensive "brass" brushes-both ones meant for rotary tools and larger ones meant for drills or even grinders that were just brass-plated steel. They're easy to spot as the bristles will stick to a magnet.

Dremel brand ones are good to go, but regardless of the application, be super careful with a cheap "brass" brush.

BTW, I've used a Dremel on some especially stubborn carbon on guns before, but I used a nylon brush paired with a good carbon solvent.

In general with using any kind of brush on a Dremel, IIRC the corded ones are rated up to 35K RPMs(at least for the Dremel brand ones-don't know about 3rd party). The single speed models usually run at that speed, and "low speed" on the two speed ones generally is around 15K rpms. The one I've had for probably over 20 years now has 10 speed steps, but they are close enough together that it feels almost continuously variable. Assuming the current models are similar to my old one, the slowest speed is 5K RPMs.

I also have an even older 2-speed one-it was my first Dremel and I probably got it around 2000 or so. I recall the manual on it saying most polishing accessories, including brushes, should only be run on "low" speed. On the 10 speed one, I usually use setting 3 or so as the max for brushes, although I might put felt wheels and things up to 5(although the cheap ones just end up making an awful mess-the Dremel brand ones usually hold together that fast). My brushes still don't last super long, but I get decent life out of them. What's probably as important as anything is remembering to let the tool do the work and not really do anything much more than guide the tool. A brush run faster without pressure will usually last a LOT longer than one you push down on even if running at low speed.

Back