Winter potholes strike again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just busted another wheel cover on the Fusion
frown.gif
I hit a pothole that I couldn't see, and it felt like the entire car exploded. The tire is fine, but a large chunk of the wheel cover is missing and the metal rim underneath is a little scuffed, and maybe the slightest bit bent, but I cannot tell. If it is a little bent, should I just leave it, or maybe try to suggest it back into shape with a hammer? I'm replacing the tires before too long, so should I have the tire place fix it then? I've never had a bent rim before. And when I say bent, I really do mean like so slight I'm not sure... the bead area is very thick steel.

If the wheel got bent in any way that will compromise function, you'll know! It will never balance correctly and might lose air. I wouldn't go hitting it with e hammer until you can confirm is actually is bent; usually bends on the lip area of the wheel where the tire bead seals will allow leakage.

I think if it is bent enough to be out of round the rim would have a pretty big dent in it. Put on the the rear and with the car jacked up and the brake off spin the wheel and see if it is out of round. If it is out of round I don't know if it can be fixed but if it has just a little ding in the rim area that is not serious.

Do you notice any steering wheel vibration after the incident at highway speeds? Has the tire lost any air since then?
Keep an eye on these things. Just replace the broken wheel cover.

If you don't notice anything unusual LEAVE IT BE! I wouldn't try and hammer anything out as long as the wheel is working as it should. The old adage applies
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

After the severe Fall & Winter up north with all the resulting accidents you should not have any problem picking up a new rim in good shape from the junk yard.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Do you notice any steering wheel vibration after the incident at highway speeds? Has the tire lost any air since then?
Keep an eye on these things. Just replace the broken wheel cover.

If you don't notice anything unusual LEAVE IT BE! I wouldn't try and hammer anything out as long as the wheel is working as it should. The old adage applies
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

I had it on the interstate a few times yesterday and all seemed well. We're taking a 150 mile trip today, so we'll see how it does.

Once the Jeep gets fixed, I am not driving my car until the roads are in better shape.

I hit a pothole with my Jeep yesterday and got air. NOT a frost heave - the pot hole was so deep, I left the ground when coming out of it.

Sounds like NJ miller
wink.gif
I have always told people NJ were after you hit a pot hole that tears out your front end you look to your right and see a sign from the DOT
"Your tax dollars hard at work" !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JDW
Sounds like NJ miller
wink.gif
I have always told people NJ were after you hit a pot hole that tears out your front end you look to your right and see a sign from the DOT
"Your tax dollars hard at work" !

Here in NY they send 20 union workers around in 5 trucks to pound signs in the ground that say "Rough Road" instead of fixing the roads.

Oh, the rough road signs are always after the bad spot ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back