Why you should always avoid an accident- Who Is At Fault When A 4-Wheeler Hits A Truck? $90m Verdict Says The Truck

Staged crash thing has been going on in SC for quite a while. Happens in waves, moves county to county. If you see a car on your immediate left, right, and someone is on the road not far in front of you (all in older cars, the lead car in front with more than 1 passenger) watch out for the set up. Usually the lead car stops suddenly, and the trail car has no where to go. All "injured" ride the ambulance and there is usually one witness who stops, usually the trail vehicle that "saw the whole thing".

Happened to my wife right outside of a military base (1 driver and 4 passengers in a Nissan Altima). Not a scratch on either car - all 5 passengers in the Altima took an ambulance ride (took three ambulances). Tow truck, 2 fire trucks, 2 police cars to reroute the traffic. They had a working, running vehicle towed from the scene since the 5 people in the Altima rode away in ambulances. Oh, and all 5 left the scene wearing neck braces.

I talked with the insurance company, sent the pictures, etc. Insurance said they would pay to get it "out of the system". Told me to just "move on". Made me so angry that happened, but nothing that could be done.

Oh, another one here is where a car full of people will suddenly stop short at a yellow light (not red, but changing to red) and have someone run into the rear of their vehicle. Since most here seem to run the yellow, this works too.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
This stuff makes me sick, especially having been through a nonsense staged accident years ago that we ultimately lost..

When does it end? Everyone's got their hand out and the ones that pay are those of us that have proper insurance.

Ambulance chasing lawyers, pain clinics and shady doctors see BIG $$$$$$.

Sad , but what can you do ?

Every major highway and FM radio stations has ads for injury lawyers.

Endless parade of these guys calling themselves The Hammer !
Well, guess a hammer can build or destroy things …
LOL. Only one original Texas Hammer. Jim Adler

Good friend of mine is ruined financially because in Virginia we have some kind of ridiculous law that states that even if you are 1% at fault in an accident, you can be sued. Friend was clearly not at fault in a bad wreck, but because he somehow could have avoided it he was forced to have wages garnished for forever.......

In Virginia you can also "double dip" and sue for medical expenses that were covered by your insurance. And you don't need to reimburse your insurance company that paid for them.

EDIT: Unless it's medicaid/medicare. The Federal government doesn't play by Virginia's rules in that regard. So if you sue and win or settle out of court, and Medicaid paid for your medical expenses, they expect to be reimbursed.

Last edited:
Say what you will about Virginia's liability law, the 1% rule prevents a would-be plaintiff from collecting in a case like this. The woman was the one who went across the median, not the truck driver. She was more than 50% at fault, and I'd say 100%.

If the would-be plaintiff is the driver, yes. If the would-be plaintiff is a passenger, then no. Nothing will prevent your Virginia "friend" you were giving a ride to from suing you if you get into an accident because you have deeper pockets than the other driver.

This is why I'm skeptical about self driving cars in the US. If there is no tort reform, it doesn't matter how much safer the computer is. Mass numbers of available lawyers will go after deep pocketed tech companies every time there is an accident. If juries go after trucking companies for no reason, think about what they will do to soulless computers.

Back