Why Such Short Warranties On Engine Mounts + ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I've got a worsening vibration issue that might be attributed to a motor mount - I'll find out for sure in ~ 3kmi when I have'er up on a lift for an oil change. Well, I've checked the mounts before, when the vibration first started, but nothing was obvious. Anyway, on to my question:

I've been searching for options and prices, and noticed that most online parts place's (i.e., partsgeek.com, rockauto, etc.) suppliers have very short warranties for mounts; all less than 12 months (the exception being AA and Autozone which offer their own limited lifetime warranty). How is it that the OEM mounts last 100kmi and sometimes 2-300kmi (and a decade+), but the aftermarket replacements are only warrantied for 12 months?

Finally, I need recommendations for a '97 Subaru with 205kmi. This is the preliminary list - what I've been looking at over the past few days - of what's available from the various sources.

Rock Auto

Anchor (P/N 9024):

Private Label Package: $25.79
Regular Inventory: $29.79

Beck/Arnley (P/N 1041336): $36.79

AA
Anchor (P/N 9024): $43

Partsgeek

DEA (P/N W0133-1653482): $39.75

NAPA

Balkamp (P/N BK 9024): $41.99

AutoZone

Duralast (P/N 9024): $56.99

DEA (P/N A6709): $55.99

I've got some time, and plan to keep this car for another 100k if I can, so I'd like something that will last as long as the original mounts. Thanks, guys!

Last edited:
How much is an OEM mount? I have a different car, but with my Saturn OEM is best. Anchor is comparable to a boat anchor for my application. Sometimes you can get good deals from dealerships that sell parts online.

I didn't even think to check for OEM, since most OEM is a lot more pricey. I'll check at lunch if I can.

A short warranty doesn't mean a part that's not going to last as long as OEM. Engine mounts are one of those parts that can be killed in short order by abusive driving, so it doesn't pay to put a long warranty on them, even if they'll last the life of the car under normal circumstances. In fact, of the parts you listed the LAST ones I'd buy are the AA and Autobone junk with the lifetime warranty! I'd probably go with the NAPA/Balkamp myself.

Let us know if there's any warranty on the dealer part. I'm betting its the same or less than the others (and probably identical to one of them too- buying from the dealer has never meant that you actually get the same brand that was used on the car originally. Service part contracts are often negotiated entirely separately from the supply contracts that feed the assembly lines.

Warranty's on all parts are short because the part failing might be a symptom of another unresolved problem which will keep killing the replacement part.

Besides brakes and shocks where it's a marketing tactic.

Think of a bad charging system eating up alternator after alternator after alternator and being the parts supplier taking warranty hits on that. Or in your case, a bent frame putting the entire weight of the engine on one mount and quickly wearing it.

Soft mounts = less vibration.
Hard mounts = less wheel hop, better shifting, better throttle control, and more vibration at idle.

My goal for the old leggy is longevity over either performance or vibration dampening. Generally, which types of mounts - soft or hard - will last and provide for the greatest longevity for both the mounts and that which the mount is dampening?

How can I tell which of those I listed are hard/soft?

Last edited:
Also, would you guys recommend changing out both mounts while I'm at it? The passenger-side mount looks new and has "Subaru" stamped on it. The driver-side, which I suspect is the bad one, has no stamp, and is brown and much older looking.

My experience with anchor mounts is that they are [censored]. Seems like they just get old mounts, burn off the old rubber and fill them with some kind of tire rubber. They get the job done in that they usually fit and keep the engine oriented correctly, but longevity and quality is poor.

As for keeping the old one, I would say that it's probably fine if the replacement is also a subaru. Two different kinds of mount could set up weird resonances.

Originally Posted By: swalve
My experience with anchor mounts is that they are [censored]. Seems like they just get old mounts, burn off the old rubber and fill them with some kind of tire rubber. They get the job done in that they usually fit and keep the engine oriented correctly, but longevity and quality is poor.

As for keeping the old one, I would say that it's probably fine if the replacement is also a subaru. Two different kinds of mount could set up weird resonances.

That's what I was worried about. That or excessive wear on one or the other. Some one mentioned OEM not always being from the same manufacturer. If that's the case, then it seems my best option would be to replace both at the same time. Is there a chance that, even if I get an OEM mount stamped "Subaru" on the side, it may not be the same as the newer looking passenger-side mount?

The vibration is really starting to get on my nerves, so I may forget about the extended drain and change out now, at ~6500 miles - kinda sucks since I just added 1/3 quart. I'll update this with what I see, if anything, when I get'er up on the lift. Thanks again guys for all of the advice. From what you've said I'll either be going with NAPA brand or OEM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back