Who has a fire extinguisher in their house ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
In a similar analog (will you call it poor also?) many are willing to deal with the fact that, yes, some guns will be stolen, yes, some high capacity weapons will be used in crimes. But it's better to retain old-school notions of the right to bear arms (the argument against gun bans in general), the capacity for self defense (the argument against further restrictions against conceal carry and/or a complete handgun ban), and the right to own military firearms (as I think was envisioned by the founding fathers "a well-regulated militia" statement, which would have meant access and knowledge and usage of military arms by the common man), than it is to remove them because of misuse.

Where have I denied self defense? Im a strong supporter of DCV Heller, as an example. Where have I denied military style rifles? I have an AR type rifle.

I question however the extremes of this stuff on either side.

But these analogies are silly, because after everyone and their brother saying how guns dont kill people, people kill people and criminals kill people, well then we need to consider the aspect of in the hands of the crazy person who IS the problem and doing the deed, if fire extinguishers kill people. How many violent fire extinguisher attacks have occurred? What do criminals do when they steal fire extinguishers.

The reaslity is that the answers to those questions is nothing... There are no violent fire extinguisher attacks, and even if there were, the end casualty would be really low... As opposed to a stolen gun which could spray bullets and is used as an amplifier for getting to a certain end in criminal acts.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Where have I denied self defense? Im a strong supporter of DCV Heller, as an example. Where have I denied military style rifles? I have an AR type rifle.

I apologize. I did not mean to imply that you were against self-defense; I was speaking of the general case. I know that you are a gun owner.

Quote:
I question however the extremes of this stuff on either side.

Fair enough.

Quote:
But these analogies are silly, because after everyone and their brother saying how guns dont kill people, people kill people and criminals kill people, well then we need to consider the aspect of if fire extinguishers kill people. How many violent fire extinguisher attacks have occurred? What do criminals do when they steal fire extinguishers?

Why are you limiting it to deaths? What about injuries? What about impacts on others? How do you draw the line? in the general case, that is. Do you have some threshold of cost to others (death, dismemberment, injury, monetary cost) which you are basing this on?

Not only that, but you do realize there is a portion of the population which is pursuing the confiscation or otherwise limitation on military firearms, right? Military, high capacity or guns in general.

Just because you are fine with 10 round magazine limits does not mean future calls for future restrictions won't impact you. And at that point you'll have to figure out how to defend a firearm that you already conceded you don't "need" (by allowing it to be neutered, plus you've already stated that it's not useful for self-defense), and that, if stolen by someone with "illegal" high capacity magazines, are fully capable of doing the damages that you pointed out. Or even with only 10 round magazines your firearms are capable of inflicting horrific damage. so, how will you defend your right to continue to own them? Now and in the future?

Quote:
The reaslity is that the answers to those questions is nothing... There are no violent fire extinguisher attacks, and even if there were, the end casualty would be really low... As opposed to a stolen gun which could spray bullets and is used as an amplifier for getting to a certain end in criminal acts.

Again, you're stuck on extinguishers. We've all seen the videos of car theives going on wild car rides, which put the public at danger too. Do we ban the police response? Do we limit the number of rounds that they can carry? Do we put limits on the top speed of vehicles? Do we blame owners who have their cars stolen?

[Yes, I realize I am shooting myself in the foot, so to speak. We accept that car insurance goes up if we live in a bad neighborhood, or own a fancy car. We do limit police response, and, a number of people don't want the police highly armed either (police state and all that). Which would then speak to the ordinary population likewise being under restrictions also, be it caliber limits, power limits, capacity limits. But as I've pointed out before, I don't believe Congress has the authority to regulated this without altering the 2nd. It is you who keeps harping on the "what-if" if a firearm is stolen and the need for such high capacity firearms in the first place, and I've yet to see your justification for ownership of such firearms.]

I have 2 in the house, 2 in the shop, and 1 in each of my Chryslers.
smile.gif

Supton,

Not much else to say right now besides good discussion. Its nice that some people can actually discuss stuff without getting rude or blowing things out of proportion.

I have three - if you count the antique halon gas extinguisher I keep in the car. I keep pretty good size ones, too, in the garage and in the house - right on the kitchen counter and don't care if it alters the decor. I replaced the ones I had for years because I wanted to make sure mine were A-B-C and not just A-B. (different kinds of fires).

I have one but I also keep a 100' ft hose that has been drained (winter) outside the house next to the hydrate. I saved my neighbors barn one year with a garden hose when nobody was home.

I've got two ABC type fire extinguishers in my kitchen.

But I don't foeresee any problems as they are not "high capacity" nor do they have removeable magazines. lol

Originally Posted By: Donald
Anyone still got a carbon-tet one hanging in the basement?

You mean those round bulbs filled with red fluid?

I was scared of those when I was little. Pretty sure my parents removed them by now...

I've kept one in the kitchen and one in the garage for 25yrs now. Never had to use either. When I moved in I thought having these would be a really good idea....just in case.

I have 4 Kidde ABC extinguishers and 1 Halon (yeah I know it's a no no, but so is theft). 1 Kidde in the basement, 1 on the second floor landing between the bedrooms at the top of the stairs, 1 in the garage between the 2 doors, and one outback by the BBQ grill. All are close to or in the exit paths to the outside away from the obvious fire sources. The Halon is in the kitchen near the stove.

I have two fire extinguishers. One is in the house in the kitchen area and the other is in the garage.

Last edited:
Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.

Bigger is better. More is better. So long as you are trained and use them properly.

Fire extenguishers, too.

Posted this thread, and it ties in with what you have taught your children thread as well...

Just prior to Christmas, I heard from family a near tragedy, with some improperly secured mower fuel, a teenager who had never been taught how to make fires, and showing off to his peers, burning his year's worth of books.

Lucky it didn't erupt in his face, lucky that when he threw the tin of burning petrol, it landed away from the deck, and lucky that his father, a swimming pool, and a whole lot of now useless towels were on the scene.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Just prior to Christmas, I heard from family a near tragedy, with some improperly secured mower fuel, a teenager who had never been taught how to make fires, and showing off to his peers, burning his year's worth of books.

With that level of idiocy, there are more fundamental issues. Burning books? Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back