Which one of these lawnmowers would you pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
The newest Kohler line-up which is the Courage XT has cast liners & ball bearing supported crank.

Thanks for the confirmation on that. Do you know where they are made?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The newest Kohler line-up which is the Courage XT has cast liners & ball bearing supported crank.

Thanks for the confirmation on that. Do you know where they are made?

I could not find any definitive country of origin on the Kohler engine that's on my power washer, a Courage XT-7 which is 173cc.

However, Kohler's website leads me to believe that they're made in China, based on the following statement:

"2007 brought two distinct opportunities for Kohler Engines to expand its product portfolio and international presence. First, Kohler-YinXiang Ltd., a joint-venture company between Kohler Engines and YinXiang Ltd. in Chongqing, China was formed. This joint venture was created to develop, manufacture, market, sell and distribute general-purpose gasoline engines. As part of this joint venture, Kohler Engines launched their first engine for the walk-behind lawnmower market in October 2007, with the Courage XT-Series. This engine line would further develop, in the coming years, into engines that are used in lawn and garden, power generation, welding and recreation applications."

One of the things I find unique about these engines, is that they're EPA certified to 125 hours, something you just don't find on engines targeted to the residential market. So there's reason to believe they're quality engines; Honda's GC and most Briggs engines are class A, which is only EPA certified for 50 hours.

AFA quality is concerned, I think the chinese motors are probably improving a good bit. I was looking around at HF last week and poked around at their predator line. clean castings, nicely machined material, good fit and finish--- some of the routing of governor linkage bothered me a bit but the bones of what I could see looked solid.

if your interest of origin is to keep the manufacturing in the U.S., that is to be respected and applauded. If it's more of a quality concern--- it may be on par... ?

One of the things I find unique about these engines, is that they're EPA certified to 125 hours, something you just don't find on engines targeted to the residential market. So there's reason to believe they're quality engines; Honda's GC and most Briggs engines are class A, which is only EPA certified for 50 hours.

That is interesting. I thought my Hondas had 1xx hours on them. I thought it was 150. Maybe it was 125. And maybe that's just the GXV; maybe the GCV is 50. I'll have to double-check at home.

My 2-stroke Echos are certified to 300 hours. Maybe it's a different scale for hand-helds or for 2-strokes.

Originally Posted By: volk06
I have it narrowed down between the HU800AWD due to the GCV190 engine or the toro SR4 super recycler with personal pace. The toro would be a no brainer but it has a toro engine and I can't see to find out who makes it besides that its made over seas...

My MIL has a personal pace Toro and absolutely loves it.

I service it every year for her and after 5 yrs it runs like new still.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

It is stored level and the oil level is exactly on the top full mark. I will change the oil this week and fill it only to 3/4 full. I have a lone bottle of Pennzoil yellow bottle. I will use it and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions.

Someone reported the same issue last year on a B&S, tilting it slightly so spark plug was high cured it(yeah I saw 3/4 full helped your issue)...

My 5.5Hp Honda is so much more powerful and quieter than my '80s B&S mowers(both 3.5 Hp) if I were forced to choose and only keep one, the B&S would be history...

When I got the Honda the carb needed rebuilt(kit costs as much as new carb), so I bought a pre-emissions carb that has a mixture adjustment from a ebay seller and have none of the surging/stalling issues others report...

The decision has been made. I will be getting the toro super recycler. Now the question is, is $50 extra for the honda GCV160 worth it, or just save the money and get the toro engine. Kinda leaning towards the honda due to the 2 recalls in the toro engine and its only been out for 2-3 years where the GCV160 has a good track record.

The decision has been made. I will be getting the toro super recycler. Now the question is, is $50 extra for the honda GCV160 worth it, or just save the money and get the toro engine. Kinda leaning towards the honda due to the 2 recalls in the toro engine and its only been out for 2-3 years where the GCV160 has a good track record.

The GCV is a decent performer, but this engine was designed with two very important things in mind: low-cost, and cheap to manufacture. Honda has two OPE engine lines, their GX and GC series engines. The (V) suffix simply means it's a vertical shaft engine, which you'll find on mowers & some pressure washers.

The GX engine is their commercial grade engine, which you'll also find on high end residential equipment. The GC series engine is quite the opposite, it was designed with price as the important variable.

GC engines have aluminum cylinder bores, which are not known for their durability and long term reliability. They also have plain bearings, and a camshaft belt which WILL break someday.

GX engines have cast iron cylinder liners, ball bearing supported crank, and a conventional overhead valvetrain.

I'd go with the Toro engine. Why? Because it's almost certainly a mass produced Honda GX clone. These engines are known as "Chondas," and a quick Google search will yield endless articles which mostly speak of favorable reliability. They have all the essential features which make the GX engine such a robust design, some of which I listed above. The nice thing about these, is that genuine Honda parts will fit the vast majority of Chonda engines, so you'll have a nearly endless supply of replacement parts, both made by Honda, and generic.

No other small outdoor power equipment engine has been as good a commercial success as the GX engine from Honda. They come in a dozen or more sizes, they've been around forever, there are millions of examples of the engines in use today. Rugged, reliable, just generally built like a tank. Some of the early Chinese knockoffs were questionable, but those kinks were worked out years ago. The engine manufacturers quickly realized that Toro, et al, will not put their names on the engine unless it wreaks of quality. There's very important reasons why the GX engine is being copied and not the GCV. It's the engine that all others are judged by, quite literally.

If country of origin is important to you, keep in mind that low cost Briggs (namely their aluminum bore engines) & many Honda engines are built in China as well. So as a deciding factor, this would be a poor one.

Still the Honda GCV will likely last for 15 years or more, unless it's used commercially(run several hrs each day) the steel cylinder liner and roller bearings don't really mean much... None of the old 60,70,80s B&S vertical shaft engines had these features and ran for years with minimal maintenance...

I guess I'm just not one to pay more and get less. I'm not saying anything against the Honda engine; I own one. But if I'd had the choice to save some money and get a more robust engine, I know which way I'd go.

I bought a Honda HRS216SDA last spring, and I couldn't be happier. This is the 3rd mower Ive owned but first Honda. I can honestly say you get what you pay for, the Honda is built solid. I can tell my 2012 Honda is is so much more solid then my 2010 Lawnboy, not even close!

I checked my Honda GCV160 and it is certified to 125 hours. The GXV140 didn't have a specific hour number on it. It was made in 2001, so maybe that was before they were rating them that way. I assume that it's rated for at least 125 hours.

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
I can tell my 2012 Honda is is so much more solid then my 2010 Lawnboy, not even close!

Unfortunately, the Lawn-Boy name really went downhill after Toro bought them in the early '90s. Today, they're simply stamped steel deck Toros with generic engines on them. As you noted, there's a big difference in the quality of construction when you move to an upper-end lawn mower. And it's rarely stuff that you can see with the naked eye; they all have handles, they all have engines, they all have levers and control bails. It's the way those things work and feel on the premium mowers that make all the difference, at least to me. It's like the quality of switchgear in a car. Some people will pay more for it and some people will not.

We're fortunate to have the choice in selection that we do; there's something out there for everyone.

Kinda leaning towards the honda due to the 2 recalls in the toro engine and its only been out for 2-3 years where the GCV160 has a good track record.

Go with your gut. If your gut tells you to buy the Toro engine, I'd still say go with your gut. This is a mower that you'll have for many years, possibly 10 years or more. Fifty dollars one way or the other today won't mean anything to you three or four years from now if you enjoy mowing with it.

Talk to a better dealer over the weekend and went with the Toro engine to save some money. They had a cut away of the engine and it looked built very well.

I think that's a good choice.

I always thought I'd want one of these bad boy professional 21' Toro mowers Toro, either the 22195 or 22197. I don't need a mower and they're really expensive, but if you want to talk about quality construct these would be it. They're probably the only mower you'd ever have to buy again if maintained and ocassionally repaired.

Two years ago I purchased a new Husqvarna HU 700L mower with the Honda GV160....For the second season in a row I'm having a hard time getting it to run despite properly storing it last season.
I never had this problem with my old B&S.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Two years ago I purchased a new Husqvarna HU 700L mower with the Honda GV160....For the second season in a row I'm having a hard time getting it to run despite properly storing it last season.
I never had this problem with my old B&S.

How are you storing it? Honestly, I had more trouble with small engines when I tried to store them "right". But for the past 10 years, I simply leave treated/stabilized fuel in them year-round, keep them topped-up at all times, and that's how they live. The fuel hoses on both of mine are still soft and supple (and original) and they both start with one rip of the rope. I've never cleaned the carburetor on either.

I think storing them dry actually promotes varnish in the system, because you can never get ALL of the fuel out. Storing them wet has certainly worked best for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back